SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
use2bcapecodr

Started a new Thanksgiving tradition this year...

use2bcapecodr
16 years ago

We have a large family. Not everyone was here for Thanksgiving dinner, but there were still 18 of us.

Before the family grew so large, we would go around the table at the beginning of our Thanksgiving dinner with each person telling something they were thankful for. When grandkids started coming...4 new ones one year...it got pretty confusing and we stopped doing it. There are 12 grandkids and 2 great-grandkids now, and they're old enough (except for the 2 babies) to understand what Thanksgiving is all about. This year, I wanted to get back to us each telling something we are thankful for, but figured by the time we got around the table...the food would be cold.

So what we did was...while dinner was being prepared, each person was given a piece of paper and an envelope with intructions to write on the paper what they are thankful for, sign their name to it, and to put that paper in the envelope...but not to seal it. During dinner, DH and I took turns reading them out loud, so everyone could guess who wrote it. It was a great hit! Everyone loved it...and it will surely be a family tradition from now on.

At the beginning of the meal, DH appointed the oldest granddaughter to pick someone to say grace. She picked me! It's been a rough year...with much family tension...but much to be thankful for. I managed to get grace out, started crying and had to leave the table. I think I was over tired from all the cooking and baking! Duh!

If you like our "envelope" tradition...we have a great one at Christmas too that I'll tell you about.

~Sandy~

Comments (5)