SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belgianpup

Deer - I never thought of this!!!

Belgianpup
12 years ago

So I'm reading a book by the King of Soil, William Albrecht, titled Foundation Concepts.

Really interesting. REALLY!

But in one part he is saying that cows know their forage, and I'll bet you anything this applies to deer, too.

He says a farmer can lime and fertilize a plot of land to grow a crop, then lets it lie fallow the next year (after the crop is finished), when it just grows weeds. He has a lot of rain that spring and summer, producing a lot of lush green pasture for his dairy cows. Then he sees his cows ignoring his nice pasture grass, and they're sticking their heads through his wire fence, trying to eat every weed they can reach from the other field.

So the smart farmer thinks, Why does that weedy field attract my cows and they ignore my nice green grass?

Then he realizes, that the weeds are growing strongly because they're using the leftover fertilizer in the soil. The cows can tell the difference between the limed and fertilized forage, and the unfertilized pasture the farmer put them on.

He lets them into the weedy field and they eat everything until it's gone, then they reluctantly return to the very green, but nutrient-deficient pasture. So he limes and fertilizes his pasture, and the cows don't want to leave it.

So, what do you think? Do deer know their forage, too?

Are they attracted to your fruits and vegetables because you fertilized them? I'll bet they are!

So I looked up what deer eat: mostly browse (leaves, twigs, shoots of woody plants and vines) and forbs (weeds and other broadleaf flowering plants). They do eat some grass, but only when it is young, green, and succulent.

It would certainly be an interesting experiment if someone would fertilize the natural food that deer eat in their area, and see if the deer stay away from the garden.

I don't have deer here, so I can't try it.

Sue

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer