SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoseman_gw

Cherry Question

hoseman
15 years ago

In the Fall of 2002 I planted two sweet cherry trees from Stark Bros. One was a Stella and the other a Bing. The Stella was advertised as a dwarf and the other semi-dwarf. Both trees are about the same size, nothing dwarf about either. They have fruited for the first time.

I picked about 4 gallons of the Stella cherries Wednesday. The quirrels and birds had been very active in the tree, the taste of the cherries did not seem to vary much from the darkest to the lightest in color.

Also, the skin was cracking on some of them from over ripeness or from the wet spring, so I picked. Perhaps I picked too early.

I was quite disappointed in the taste. Not knowing what a ripe stella cherry was suppose to taste like raises several questions.

Stark Bros. was going through a transition to new owners somewhere around the time I ordered about a dozen fruit trees from them. There have been problems with other fruit trees from them. So, I wonder if I do really have Stella cherries, esp. since I obviously did not get a dwarf tree.

Of those who know what a Stella cherry is like, how does it rate in sweetness? What is the apperance of a ripe Stella cherry. The outward apperance looked similar to what I have seen at the grocery store described as Rainer, the inside flesh was white except in rare instances where red color had run into the inside flesh, perhaps from being overripe.

I have yet to pick the tree described and sold as Bing from Stark Bros. Some of these cherries appear to be getting darker in color which leads me to believe these may be Bing. This tree is not as full by a long shot.

Comments (6)