SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heather38_gw

fright of my life! a tomato hornworm question, and have searched

heather38
13 years ago

Yesterday I was picking Toms and suddenly saw not one but two of these scary monsters, I really did Jump, but once I got myself together I realised I had only seen them because they where covered in white things and my memories from this forum are that this is a type of Parasitic wasp, and so I looked it up and yes it is, today I can't find the worms on that plant anywhere, just a few husks of the white "eggs"? on the leaves say 4 or five? but I imagine their are some I can't see, but the worms no where to be found, and given their size! if they have gone underground can the wasps still do their business?

I did a good hunt today and found 7 worms if you include the 2 from yesterday only one did not have the eggs, so I drowned it, shudder! that was not pleasant!

of the other 4 one was dead, and like the other 3 covered in the white things..

My question, should I from the numbers I have found on 20 plants worry?, given that the unegged one was really difficult to find, and of the plants that show damage from them only 2 did I not find a worm...as in I need to go back and check them again?

and the 2 that have disappeared, will they get killed by the wasps underground? if they in fact made it that far, as I didn't tag them, they could be the ones I counted today, but the plants I found them on was 3 foot away.

Comments (8)