SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_5

2007 Watermelon and Melon Summary

Another year and some more great tasting melons along with some frustrations.

The best watermelon performer this year was Summer Flavor #420. I only had one plant but it produced 120 pounds of great melons. This one is also the most vigorous and disease resistant I have found. Very good flavor, texture and sweetness. If the seeds were any smaller, you could eat them....red...seed from Twilley's.

Raspa...I didn't start enough of these and one died on me so I didn't get as many of this delicious melon....red...Willhite

Sangria. This one can produce such good ones...if things are just right....red... Twilley's

Gold Strike...This is my favorite orange one...so good...orange...Willhite

Rojo Grande. This is such a good flavored, sweet, and juicy one...red...Willhite

Sweet Dakota Rose. This is an open pollinated variety from North Dakota!...very good and producive...red...Seeds of Change

Royal Sweet. This one is good but not as super textured as most of the above. red...Twilley's

I had some more but the above were so scrumptious.

The very best of the cantaloupes were the crenshaws.

Lilly. This one is large ang so good...Johnny's and Rupp

Burpee Early Hybrid Crenshaw....so delicious

Sugar Queen...what a delicious and super producer.

Classic.....pretty good

Hannah's Pride...pretty good....Fedco

Well, I only have two watermelons to harvest...unless those other [besides 420 which has already raised 3 nice second setters] second setters make it. This was an early year. The first ones were ripe by mid July.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus