SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

*Gustav*

kudzukween
15 years ago

It even sounds like a bad guy:) So we gotta keep our eyes open for another storm. Right now,we must be okay because JIM CANTORE is NOT here :) If ya see him near Biloxi/Gulfport, then Uh-Oh. and if it gets over a CAT3, we really don't wanna stay,heck,we haven't even finished rebuilding and remodeling since three years ago.

We have food put up, will get more water,gas and batteries. Our emergency water just leaked out all over some old albums, which I took as a sign it was time to make some album purses, but I apparently was mistaken :) At least, it's not the RIGHT time :)

Ya'll in FL..keep the plywood nailed up (lol don't we all keep it up this time of year??) I've got to figure out where to store my wicker porch set. I love my new metal roof, but now I'm picturing giant sized razor blades, and those croquet balls*ooOOooohh* The good thing is, not too many trees left to fall on my house since the last storm got most of them!

Alright, enough random thoughts...everyone take care!

Cherry

Comments (23)

• cindee11461
    15 years ago

Oh dear. I hope you will not be hit. I am sure it is a scary thing to deal with all that. I will keep you in my prayers.

• susiesunshine
    15 years ago

OH my.......... Ms Cherry.......
    BIG TIME THOUGHTS & TONS OF PRAYERS>>>>!! ! !
    I am just
    so sorry this might come your way.....
    Please "DO GET PREPARED" it sounds Nasty ! ! !

Stack your stuff up.... in a corner....of a inside room and just protect your windows... and mostly.............. GET TO SAFETY .... B 4..... keep your ears glued to NEWS/WEATHER reports! We are praying for You ! ! ! and ALL in the path of this terrible storm.... God Bless ! SusieSunshine
  • goldenpond
    15 years ago

Even though it is suppose to miss us on the east coast we are still getting drenched and thunder and lightening. I havent been able to mow as the lawn is still soaked,,ya better hurry and mow before ya get doused!!!!! I still have my orchids in my porch and am enjoying a big bloomer in my kitchen.They are staying put in case Gustave changes his mind.
    Wish I had a metal roof! good luck!
    Prayers

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

I'm pretty sure Gustav will miss us on the east coast of FL and hopefully fizzle in the Gulf. Ya'll in the projected path get stocked up asap and stay that way. I got a feeling this last few months of Hurricane season is gonna be storm after storm. I'm now tracking HANNAH. It looks as if she is going to do a bee line right for the east coast of FL. I got potable water and a few tanks of LP for the cooking stove today. When I went to get water and gas before Fay it was all gone a week before she hit town. The meds and supplies are all stocked up and the important stuff is safe in the water/fire proof safe bolted to the concrete foundation. I only need to put up the new light weight clear shutters when the time comes. Yeah Mowing has not been easy and I've got funky looking patches all over the yard.
    I can play connect the dots when it dries out from FAY.
    LOL

CT

• nonacook
    15 years ago

Well, here we go again!!!LOL
    I just got the final metal roof put on 2 days before Fay.
    In fact it has not been sealed good because of Fay. It was just the roof of a screened porch on the mobile home (It had a small hole in the main roof of the mobile home from a small limb going through the roof and ceiling, but my SIL fixed it with liquid fiberglass). 2 rental houses and a 32x12 shed were first. If the roof of our house gets damaged I will go with metal for it too!
    we didn't lose a shingle on the house with Ivan, Dennis and 'the others', but did lose part of the attached workshop/laundry room roof. Sigh......
    Don't know where it's going, but prayers for all the Gulf Coast!

• Bright199
    15 years ago

My prayers for you all!! I have fam in the Tampa bay area.. I worry about them every year... espec. my daughter and grandchildren. One of the reasons we moved to NC. Wish the rest would come up here too. You all are welcome as well!!! I wish he would just go on out to the ocean and leave the US alone!!!!

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Ok, who decided Phoenix needed a bit of hurricane experience? We had one of the worst storms here anyone can remember. Winds hit between 77 and 100 mph. So much damage all over the Valley from rain, wind, and lightning.
    I lucked out, only lost electricity for 3 hrs between 9 and midnight. And only one big limb down in the yard. Usually the east side of the Valley gets nailed with summer "monsoon" storms but rarely central Phx. And we might get more of this stuff tonight and thru the weekend.
    This entire year, we've broken weather records constantly for one thing or another. LOL. I'm beginning our NORMAL is just that, breaking records.

Anyway, everyone in the path of these hurricanes, stay safe and prayers coming for you to have no damage.

hugs, Karen

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

My husband is in DeQuincy, Louisiana right now. He just called and said they finally got the word that there was a mandatory evacuation so they are rigging down. I hope they don't lose their heads and rig down safely. It's going to be a long drive home for him and the thing could turn and come this way! Hurricanes are so unpredictable, we just have to think of Katrina to know that. I remember the long, long traffic lines and cars broke down all along 90A.
    He said he was heading North and then try to come back down. I live 74 miles west of Houston. I just want him home. Now.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow, it sure has been crazy weather! Every day since Fay became a TS, we've gotten at least 2 computerized calls a day with a message from the Governor to get out. With Gustav, we've gotten more. Then yesterday we found out all Social Security recepients within the 393..-395.. zip codes had gotten their checks early. I check my newspaper online more often during storm season, and didn't see the article til last night. Husband checked, and sure enough, it had been deposited. The newspaper said this was so people could buy supplies now, and take care of themselves. Another article says the Louisiana Super Dome will be locked up tight and NOT used as a shelter after the horrific incidents three years ago, buses would be available to anyone needing a ride out of town for shelter..a mandatory evacuation. Gas stations are already running out of gas, so they've set a $$$ limit on how much you can purchase, the lines are very long,too,looks like most everyone is leaving. One of the television channels has become a "hurricane information" center.
    We'll be staying here, as long as it isn't over a category 3, but there is also Hanna, and soon to be named Ike, and another storm behind it.
    Take care everyone, and I'll keep updating with the local information if it heads this way.
    Cherry

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Hubby said he isn't leaving until tomorrow. I still wonder where it will be heading. The leg that was bitten by a cottonmouth 3 years ago has been aching a little. I don't wish any bad weather on anyone, I just don't want it to come here. I'm going to get a few bins to put some valuables in and take them up town. I hope it really fools the weathermen and heads for the remote areas of Mexico.

• luna_llena_feliz
    15 years ago

Gosh, I am spoiled here in Wisconsin! All we have to worry about is the constant thunder of over 150,000 Harley motorcycles from as far away as China and South Africa that have decended on Milwaukee for Harley-Davidson's 105th anniversary celebration.

All of you braving the hurricanes will be in my prayers!

Be safe,

Kathy

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We just got back from Walmart...shelves are emptying so fast! Practically no water or canned food, or anything usable for the situation. Got the deep freeze packed with bottled water, still working on getting every bit of dirty laundry done,lol...you really miss crisp clean sheets and towels when they're not there :) Got some more baby wipes,some bug spray,batteries; crafting supplies for idle hands,some places still out of gas, traffic is packed heading north, and the southbound traffic has been closed. Radio and television has told out of towners to leave NOW..had lots of them stranded during Katrina.The traffic heading out is a lot of tractor trailers getting the containers out of the port..they've been told to get everything out this time, during Katrina we had tons of chicken and pork bellies blown all around...they laid around rotting for months,"bad smell" is an understatement! Imagine your home and swimming pool filled with rotting meat in August! Jerry Lewis telethon for Louisiana is postponed...we got a little more gas for the genny while we could. Still trying to get things picked up or laid down in the yard. I will keep posting:)
    Take care everyone,
    Cherry

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Cherry which parish you in? My Warren is still in DeQuincy in Calcasieu parish. He said a lot of guys quit because of Gustav. He is so busy trying to get things tied down and they are saying 2 million are expected to start evacuating tomorrow. He's not going to be able to leave. He did manage to fill up his truck and get 15 extra gallons of fuel. I just want him out of the line of fire. This is the first time we've been separated like this. I'm going nuts.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kathy, we're in Mississippi on the Gulf. Biloxi/Gulfport area right off the beach. Harrison County.I hope your husband will be safe,I'll be thinking of you both. The DH is driving about, he just called a while ago to say the National Guard has been posted along Highway 90 and along Highway 49.After Katrina they laid out razor wire so no one would go south of the railroad tracks. Lots of out of town power company trucks already, the news online says expect 12 hours of storm. Katrina was 8 hours..so...WOW..they still have homes destroyed by Katrina marked with those big "x"s ( homes where they found dead bodies)

and where is Jim Cantore?? where ever he is, we should all go the opposite direction! lol He was here the 28th for the Katrina anniversary...I hope he left town!

Here is a link that might be useful: my local newspaper SunHerald.Com

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

I haven't seen Jim. I did notice the blonde with the farrah fawcett hair is pregnant. He said he is leaving in the morning. He has a plan on where to go, short cuts he called them.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We woke up this morning to a tornado, and 2990 homes without electricity down here, but power company working already to get that back on. Looks like the storm won't be as bad, but luckily almost everyone has left town anyway. I was surprised we still had power ourselves. Lots of rain here, strong gusty winds. Dogs are still hunkered down underneath the dining table, sometimes whining and howling. Haven't heard or seen any birds since right before dark yesterday, no crickets or frogs, but really it isn't bad at all, I think we're all very lucky, at least right here in the immediate vicinity. I'll check back in later as long as we have electricity :)

Jim Cantore was in Houma, Louisiana last night.

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update. The words are STAY SAFE!!!! You take no chances with this storm. It spawned some nasty tornadoes first thing and will be doing that all around untill it drops down or moves off. On the fringes the actual Hurricanes hasn't got the damage potential of the killer tornadoes they spawn. If you hear the frieght train sound grab your loved ones, jump in a tub and cover!!!

CT

• Kathryn Botard
    15 years ago

Kudzukween, I was thinking about you this morning. Looks like ya'll are getting all the tornado's and a lot of the rain from Gustav. Can't remember where, but on some forum someone said that tornado's weren't a problem with hurricanes. I beg to differ. That has been my worry all along with my husband being further inland in Louisiana. Luckily, he got home last night. He said he took the back roads and avoided the freeways. Only took him an hour longer than usual to get home.

• jeannespines
    15 years ago

Please take all the precautions you can...prayers are with you all. Jeanne S.

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the first chance I've had to get to a computer, I'm at my sisters house. We never lost our power or even our dish tv...however first thing we had a powerful tornado that uprooted 3 massive threes along the back side of my house. All the roots were entertwined,so all 3 came down together, and ripped my underground phone lines out. The phone company says we will be a medical priority, and fixed right away....September 17. So no internet, no home phone, AT&T..more bars in more places...but no bars in the house.
    There are 2 trees left, if the rain keeps up,and the tornados, I'm afraid they'll fall,too.
    I'll keep in touch and come back when I have a chance.

• coloredthumb
    15 years ago

Good to know you and your loved ones are okay. Trees can be replaced.
    The line oup in the Atlantic is starting to look like it will be a long few weeks to say the least.
    I'm not trusting Hannah to stay off the coast and going to put up the storm shutters this afternoon. That way I can go to work tomorrow and not worry about her turning in. Ike looks to be heading south of us and into the Gulf and Josephine is anyone's guess right now.

Well gotta get laundry done
    Stay safe ya'll
    CT

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi ya'll..... the phone company just spliced my phone line, they have to come back with some kind of rubber coating to put over that. Keeping an eye on the other storms, everyone is good, and everything is good. Small limbs down everywhere, my sister stayed closer to the beach,and didn't even have this much damage,lol. We did get lots of visitors this way...because no one could get in touch with us over the land lines or the cell phones. I understand the Gulf came in over both lanes of Highway 90 but didn't stay over the seawall very long. This storm sure spawned a lot of tornados in my area. The sun just came out!
    Be careful with Hanna and the other storms. This is a busy year.

Happy Junqueing,
    Cherry

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

here are a couple photos of the trees.

one is taken outside the bedroom window. the other I walked out and snapped a pic. you can see the roots go right underneath my home, that's part of the track for the siding on the house, and the roots were uprooted under the heat/ac thingie. everything is working, and temporarily fixed. the roots are sticking up in the air way up higher than the house! also you can see how the other 2 trees are leaning, still waiting to see those fall..please let them fall the other way....it's too boggy to get machinery in there right now......sigh

{{gwi:127816}}

{{gwi:127818}}