SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaig_gw

raspberry cutworm?

kaig
15 years ago

Are these below cutworms? -- I suspect so :(

{{gwi:107425}}

I bought two bare root Heritage raspberry plants this year (from Home Depot, I admit it). Both had new shoots growing beside the old cane. After a while one of the little shoots was gone -- I took mental note of that weird occurence (no trace of it left), but then pretty much forgot about it. Today now I found the original cane from the other raspberry plant had disappeared, though the shoots were still there (at least I think so, maybe I'm seeing a shoot from one of many wild blackberries coming up all over the place). When looking at where it meets the soil, I found one of those (I suppose) cutworms which curled up once touched. I looked at the other plant (which has only last year's cane but no green foliage at all anymore), and also found one of the beasts.

The weird thing is, I've never had any cutworm damage (I also have a few raised beds for veggies) at all, and now I find two right at the new raspberries. Either raspberries are particularly delicious, or is it maybe possible that they came with the bareroot plants, maybe as eggs? (They were not completely bareroot, some dirt left)

Any chance the eaten bare root plant is going to send out another shoot (it's been weeks since the last one). I did bareroot it again and it's in a bucket of water right now. It does not look very alive to me at all, is there a way to tell?

I have another raspberry I planted as a potted plant 3 years ago. It's still surviving, but it's not doing well at all. It grows one new cane per year, but only about a foot high and gives me something like about 2 raspberries per year :( It doesn't look particularly unhealthy, it just doesn't thrive. Could that be related to cutworms, too?

Comment (1)