SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rweissman_gw

Sour Cherry - Am I Wasting My Time?

rweissman
14 years ago

Help.

A 60-70 foot maple that was in my yard fell down in a storm in mid-March, and, thinking that the spot vacated by the tree now looked much sunnier, I went out a few weeks ago and bought myself a nice dwarf Montmorency cherry tree.

Then,duh, the Japanese Maple and Dogwood that were still close by leafed out and what I thought would be a fairly sunny spot was much less sunny than I expected.

I haven't planted the tree yet. I kept it in its container after it occurred to me - too late - that I should double check the amount of sun it would get before planting it.

So, since I work about an hour away and I'm never home during the day to monitor the sun, I bought a gadget to check the sun for me. I got a reading today and it turns out that the spot is partial sun/shade. It gets about 4.5 - 5 hours of bright sun starting about 1:30 p.m.

It is otherwise in a good spot for a cherry tree. It is at the top of a small hill with good soil.

I have a small yard (about .15 acres) and short of putting it smack in the middle of my lawn, I have no cherry-tree-sized full sun spots where I haven't already planted something else.

I saw a post from harvestman from about a year ago saying that cherries can actually do okay in partial shade, but I haven't been able to find anything else on the internet mentioning this.

Am I wasting my time by planting it? Does it actually have a shot at survival, or - dare I type it - producing fruit? Thanks.

Rob

Comments (11)