SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Death of matriarch disrupts family

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

My dh's mom died last year and his youngest brother is angry at the whole family (and we think at her) for a variety of reasons, mostly involving money, are you surprised? (Not that he will say exactly, his evil siblings are just supposed to know and somehow make amends) My poor dh is closest in age and very upset. My mil had wanted a piece of her property preserved for family use, particularly hoping that the family would still gather there around her birthday and younger brother is forcing a sale. Dh was appointed to look into selling and get a market price and interview realtors by other bro who is trustee and we went over this weekend to meet with realtors. (Younger bro is mad that he wasn't chosen to do this in addition to what ever else, but doesn't seem to understand that he has a conflict of interest cuz he has a potential buyer and wants a finders fee). Dh reached out to him via email and said he hoped they would visit (bro and family live next door) and said he was sad about the differences, signing "with heartache". Bro answered wishing him good luck with his heartache and said he hoped it would lead to productive soul searching!

Its my personal belief that nothing will make him (bro) happy except if dh were to give him his whole inheritance (dispite fact that younger bro got more than anyone else) and even then he would also have to apologize and admit some mysterious wrongdoing.

I'm sad for dh. I can't imagine my brother and I acting like this even tho we are not close.

What makes it worse is younger bro is telling his version of mistreatment story to family friends and cousins, I am assuming leaving out what he actually received. We know this because people will say things like "We hope you are doing what your mother would want!" But the others can't defend themselves because they have no idea of what he is accusing them. What happens to families!

kathy

Comments (12)