SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tx_ag_95

China Doll 'tree'

tx_ag_95
12 years ago

Hi all,

I have a China Doll tree/plant that I inherited from my mother when my parents started traveling full time. She always kept it outside under the patio. I keep it outside under a mature oak tree. (No, sorry, it can't come inside as there's not enough light!) It's brought into a greenhouse in the winter, which is part of the problem. This past winter, it didn't go dormant but kept growing, so when it got too close to the eaves of the house, it grew parallel to the ground. I'm OK with it looking funny, but I have a feeling that it's going to start growing "up" again...which means it will NOT fit back underneath the eaves next winter (the greenhouse is essentially a modified lean-to built next to the west wall of the house).

The plant has enough emotional value to me that I want to keep it. While I could bring it inside in the winter, I'm afraid it would die as the room it would be in would get VERY LITTLE light from a sole skylight in the winter. So, what are my options? It's been happy outside the last 5-6 years (it's always lived outside since my mother got it in San Antonio), ever since I got it (6 years ago) and when I repotted it (5-ish years ago) it started growing again for the first time in AGES. It sprouted a new trunk (good cuz the old one then died) and has continued to put out new growth since then...and didn't seem to be really bothered by the drought Dallas, TX had last summer even though I didn't water as often as I should have.

I don't have much experience with rooting cuttings, and I'd really rather keep the same root stock and have it keep growing than take a cutting and root it and start over while throwing away the original plant. Luckily, the other tropical plants that I "inherited" don't have the same issues! Can anyone help me? Thanks, if you can!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County