SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

Are anonymous letters ok?

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

On Tuesday dh and I got a very mean spirited anonymous letter complaining about our driving. After stating that we had no regard for anyone else, the woman claimed that she came by our house with her husband to talk to us after "drawing the short straw" at a neighborhood gathering. But then they didn't because they saw that we have bumper stickers on our cars which (she wrote) according the the Am. Psychiatry Journal means we are dangerous and shouldn't be approached and never think that we are wrong.

Dh just shrugged it off and said he would be more careful to make sure he doesn't go over the speed limit. He drives on the street she complained about everyday at the start of his hour commute to work and its easy to go into autopilot. He thinks she's just a person who may have been honestly upset if he was driving over the speed limit, and she doesn't know how to handle things well. I, on the other hand, found it very upsetting for about 24 hours. (And how is it they never noticed the bumper stickers before if they saw us speeding?) She signed it "Lots of Neighbors". I don't think I speed very much. In 35 yrs of driving, I have gotten one speeding ticket in my life, on the interstate when I was late for a work meeting.

I wasn't raised to think its ok to send anonymous letters. I always talk to neighbors if I have an issue that I just can't let go. Well, of course,in theory there are times I might not: if I thought someone had ameth lab or something similarly frightful and illegal, I would call the police.

Oh well. At least she isn't on my street (an adjacent one apparently) which means she could be a half a mile or more away.

The irony is that the reason there are sidewalks on at least part of the road in question is partly because of the volunteer work with a city committee by my dh. Also he's much more mild mannered than I and HE put the bumper stickers on our cars.

Are anonymous letters ever ok? In this case if she had only chastised us for our driving and demanded that we slow down, I don't think I would be so upset. The name calling and the psycho babble make me feel creepy.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Kathy

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!