SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueswimmer68

Edamame- How long from pod to picking?

blueswimmer68
9 years ago

I am growing edamame for the first time this year (MoonCake PVP from Southern Exposure).

They have been growing well all summer and are now about 5-6 feet tall. A few bunches of small flat pods just appeared today.

My question- Does anyone have experience with roughly how long it will take them to be ready to pick from this point?

Everything I've read says to watch them carefully because they can get woody if you wait too long, but they don't give a range of days for how long that might take.

I'm going to be out of town for two weeks with my parents house-sitting. My mom will water for me and pick ripe tomatoes but she is a self-proclaimed "plant killer" and she's afraid to do anything else.

I'm hoping someone here can give me an estimate so I know if they might take a full two weeks to be ready or if I need to enlist my sister to come and pick them while I'm gone.

Most of the plants do NOT yet have pods, just flowers. Maybe two-three plants have a few clusters of almost completely flat baby pods.

Any experience with timing?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida