SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marial1214

Cold Case & Construction for lettuce

marial1214
16 years ago

I googles "cold case" to see if I can find instructions and material list to construct a cold case in the ground but all kinds of worthless crap came up. My grandpa used to have one and if i'm not mistaken he had lettuce in there in January! Does that sound right? Can someone tell me what will a cold case do to enhance or prolong my lettuce growing season or any other plants that grow in there? I live in zone 6.

I also want to see where I can buy a cover for my winter lettuce. It covers the whole row and is shaped like a dome. I dont know the word for it, can somebody help me? What's that called? Apparently, if i'm gonna have lettuce in the garden during fall, I must cover it right?

Please give me all info I need in order to start making some decisions.

p.s. i sowed winter lettuce today (aug 24th) and according to the packet it will not freeze in the snow. it goes in the ground now and will be ready in early spring. i bought the seeds in France which is zone 5. Here in the US, we live in zone 6 here so that's not that far off but the packet says it will grow at 59 degrees fahrenheit. Now I'm thinking why the heck the French put seeds in the ground NOW in late summer for early spring lettuce. Why dont they just wait til early spring?! Why complicate things? Am I not seeing something?

Anyway, that's not why I want the cold case, nor the domed cover for the lettuce beds in the garden. I want to learn how I can grow, if possible, other greens during our cold season here.

Your responses are most appreciated. Happy Gardening this fall everyone!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm