SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwayssunshine_gw

New House, New Garden, New to Heirlooms!

alwayssunshine
14 years ago

After apartment living for many years we have LAND! Not much but enough to grow good things to eat in the ground. I have ordered some seemingly unbelievable seeds from Seed Savers Exchange and want to prepare the ground and garden for my veggies. Ordered: Carrots, cucumbers, watermelon, summer squash, bell peppers and 6 varieties of Tomatoes.

I don't know where to start, I am in Zone 10b, so I know I can grow here now but am still worried it might be too hot. Where on the property do I plant? We have an east facing spot that will get some afternoon shade, we can plant in the back yard for full 12+ hours of sun, and an alcove that would be shaded in the early morning and late afternoon but get almost 8 hours of full sun. All requiring pulling up St Augustine grass, but I am happy to do it, just want to do it in the right spot. (No Chemicals have been used on the lawn for years, I checked with previous owner!)

Next what do I need to do to prep the beds for the best nutrients (the Tom's are my first priority) and to maximize weed control.

I think I could stop there for now but I am sure I will have tons more questions, thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (7)