SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pitcom

Kandy Korn Corn Questions

pitcom
12 years ago

I just had some question for those who have grown this variety before. I was expecting this corn to take around 80 days to harvest according to everything I have read about it. I put down 100 seeds on July 2nd, and today, 48 days later, I have some 7 foot tall plants that have already gone to tassel today, and the silks should be coming tonight. It just seems that this variety grew much faster than I have read.

Out of the 100 plants, 25 have produced side shoots, and of the 25, 8 have produced 2 side shoots.

Many of the plants have 2 ears forming. But so far i have counted 15 plants with 4 ears forming and 11 with 3 ears forming.

What i find most odd, is that only half of the corn has developed so quickly. The other half appears to be about 10-14 days behind which would put them at my expected date of September 20th for harvest.

Anyone know why some of the corn is growing so quickly and producing so many ears/side shoots? All i have fertilized the corn with was some a few light sprayings of hydrolyzed fish oil and seaweed.

This is my first time growing this variety so for all i know this could be normal. But all of my other varieties i gre this year, Sugar pearl, Serendipity and Triple Play all grew at the same rate.

Comments (15)