SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sortaorganic

Fish/Seaweed fertilizer questions

SortaOrganic
10 years ago

Started our quest last year to move away from conventional gardening and into wide deep beds and organic fertilizers. I was quite impressed with the fish fertilizer I stumbled across. It was "Alaska" brand, 5.1.1. It worked on everything from the veggies to the flowers. However, our pole Lima's did not start setting fruit till late in the season, and it was much less than it should have been. Everything else including the green beans and peas did very well. The Lima plants had a good color, grew tall, and had no major bug problems. I've been wondering if the Nitrogen level of the fertilizer might have been a bit too high for them. I'm considering "Neptune's Harvest" Fish and Seaweed fertilizer 2.3.1. in hopes of reducing the nitrogen a bit and boosting the blooming. We have 3 varieties of pole Lima's this year, so it would be a good time to try it out. I also read about people adding molasses to the mix but can't find the reason or ratio's. Any comments would be appreciated as we move further into uncharted waters! Thanks.

Comments (9)