SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Problem with Illinois Everbearing mulberry

Hi,

I received a grafted 2 1/2 ft bareroot IL Everbearing mulberry from Burnt Ridge Nursery in early spring and promptly planted it. It has been mulched and watered weekly. The darn thing will not break dormancy and in fact is seems like the leaf buds have just dried out along with the upper trunk stem. I can find green under the stem further down. In desperation, I pruned the dead stuff back hoping to stimulate some growth, but nada. I'm not sure what healthy mulberry "pith" should look like, but there's a brown center.

Writing to the company, I was told that a freeze can damage the buds and that any growth below the graft should be cut to force adventitious growth above. Well, there is no growth below the graft either to stimulate anything. I'm thinking this tree is a dud. Burnt Ridge didn't offer any replacements in reply to my note.

Is there anything I can do or shall I just kiss the plant goodbye and try again next year? I wish I could find one leafed out for sale locally, but I guess not...

Comments (2)