SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
solidago1

My tomatoes are frigid

solidago1
13 years ago

I've done everything I know to do, but they can't seem to get beyond a state of semi-arousal. They grew impressive vines, flowered profusely, and even set quite a few fruits. Then...they hit a wall. They can't seem to let loose and get over the hump.

The fruits have just been sitting there for 3 weeks, neither succumbing to disease nor growing any larger. They are the size of cherry tomatoes. My Big Boy is a toddler. My Stupice is in a stupor. My Celebrities would be lucky to have 5 minutes of fame, let alone 15 minutes.

Is Oregon where tomatoes go to die? I'm not an inexperienced gardener, though this is my first garden in Oregon. All of my previous gardening experience was in the Midwest, and by mid July the tsunami of produce was on. Here? It's like my garden has an enlarged prostate, and can only produce vegetables in a pathetic trickle.

The fact that we are in August, and the sun continues to perform its Gypsy Rose Lee act, teasing, suggesting something that it never quite delivers, flashing a bit of thigh by midday only to retreat behind its curtain of clouds again, doesn't help.

This has been my most disheartening gardening experience ever. I got plenty of zucchini, but who doesn't? Even the tomatillos seem to be stuck, with plenty of fruit that refuse to grow larger.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022