SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fossilnut

Help! Seawall is begging to be fixed!.

fossilnut
18 years ago

I'd appreciate some more help! We have an old cement block seawall that is in dire need of help. I'd guess that it is over 50 years old (contractors tell us that the cabin is somewhere around that age) and the seawall probably dates from then too. The lakeside edges are crumbling in places. Any suggestions on how to strengthen, repair and beautify it? Maps tell us that we are in Zone 5 but the county agricultural agent says that extreme temperatures can reach 40 below and in choosing plants, play it safe and go with Zone 3.

I'm sure the smart thing to do would be to tear it down and do it over again but our situation probably makes that unlikely. Our "new" lakefront cabin sits on a narrow penninsula in NE Washington and because of current setback requirements, NO place we own is buildable (although we can renovate and repair what is already there). The building dept. has shot down virtually every project I mentioned.

I'm afraid that any repairs I do would get demolished over the winters and might do more harm than good. Would really love to cover it all with tufa, like someone here did with an ugly brick wall. The crumbled part of the seawall sits about 2' above the lake level and doesn't get wet much.

Any and all suggestions really appreciated!

Sandy

Comments (21)