SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
countcoco

Some helpful books

countcoco
13 years ago

I just wanted share a couple great books that have drastically improved my knowledge base and skills with regards to house plants. It's so hard to get quality info on houseplants and it's certainly worthwhile to have a couple references. I'm sure Tapla has a few of these laying around or has read them in the past.

Botany for Gardeners- Brian Capon

Absolutely fascinating read. Capon's style is similar to that of Jared Diamond (Guns, Germs and Steal) in how he breaks down very complex scientific information into a form that's both easily grasped by the curious reader and extremely fascinating.

Tropical Foliage Plants A Grower's Guide- Lynn P. Griffith, Jr

This is the book that the creator of the plants are the strangest people blog raves about. Although it's written for readers engaged in industrial horticulture, it's still an excellent reference for hobbyists. It has great cultural info and the preface details the evolution of foliage plant production in America.

Gardening Indoors- George van Patten

van Patten, AKA Jorge Cervantes, the author of the Medical Marijuana Growers Bible provides a lot of excellent, well organized information that is intended for indoor gardeners. Only a small fraction of the book is specifically about hydroponics, so it's still relevant to everyone on this forum who isn't interested in hydro.The chapters on plant culture, water and nutrients are particularly illuminating. It's nice to have at least one book that covers all aspects of indoor culture.

Plant Propagation- The American Horticultural Society

Not about house plants per se, but most are still covered. It's a superb reference and will definitely improve your success rates with propagation.

Any other recommendations of time tested texts?

Comments (9)