SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riptidefrog

plant id, looks like a palm.....

riptidefrog
17 years ago

I just recently purchased a plant from walmart and guess what.........thats right!!!! No name is given for it in the planter. Now since id rather not go around considering this plant a Foliage Officinalis i thought maybe someone here could help.

The plant looks to me to be a palm of some sort. It does bear some resemblance to a parlor palm and that is why i say it looks like a palm to me however i heard somewhere that a parlor palm is not really a palm at all, but i think you get the point.....anyway, this plant is in about a 6" pot and there are many separate stems coming up out of the dirt. these stems diverge into long petioles ( are they called petioles on palms? ) which are about 8-10" before ending in 2-3 flat, palmlike leaflets. the plant itself stands about 18-20" tall not including the pot.

If anyone is familiar with walmart then you may recognize the plant, its one that is currently being sold for $6 per 2 plants.

Can anyone tell me what this plant is and how to best care for it? Also, how big is it going to get and how fast?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments (15)