SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ltd123_gw

fake rock photos - quickwall/mesh or concrete/mesh

ltd123
18 years ago

This is a summary of my fake rock experiments. I think this technique is easy and makes great, strong rocks. I continue to be surprised by the strength of 2 layers of mesh and Quickwall (or concrete with fibers). These 2 rocks both held over 400 pounds with no changes at all. The big one weighs about 50 pounds and the small one weighs 20. The walls of the rocks are less than one half inch thick although in the photos they sometimes look much thicker due to the fact that I sort of turned the edges under at the bottom of the rock to add some solidity to the base. I slapped concrete on whatever shape that turned out to be. I don't know how much this thickened bottom edge adds to the strength of the structure.

My goal is to make rocks people can stand or sit on but I want these rocks to be light enough for me to move around by myself. I welcome any comments or challenges that would help me move farther toward that goal. Making them this strong but even lighter would be great.

Rick, in another thread you asked exactly how I made the rocks. Hopefully the photos will show that. Basically, I used a hula hoop for the bottom. I took 8 ft lengths of chickenwire about 12 inches wide. I squeezed the end of a length over the edge of the hoop to keep it in place and then made an arch over the hoop and secured the other end of the chickenwire to the hoop by mashing the wire. I repeated this with 4 lengths of wire and wound up with a very wobbly mound which I pushed on til it looked vaguely rock-like to me. Next I put black plastic over it so the concrete wouldn't fall thru the wire. I put a layer of mesh/quickwall on starting at the top. About 1/3 of the way down I noticed my quickwall/mesh was getting heavy enough to effect the shape of the rock so I quit and let it dry. The next day it was obvious I could just lift that off so I did. I called it my little rock and put a second coat on it. Meanwhile, I put the original hoop/wire armature over a garbage can for support of the wire mound. I did 2 coats on that and made the big rock. It cupped back under so there was so chance to lift it off the armature and the wire and hoop will always be inside the big rock. It all lifted off the garbage can so that is not inside.

The photos show how sloppy I am at finishing places that don't show. I have not done anything yet to color these rocks to make them look more real. You can see the pictures here.

Laura

Here is a link that might be useful: try this

Comments (37)