SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
najjie

Using Quikrete mortar mix in a hypertufa recipe

najjie
13 years ago

Hi folks. I've decided to go to the folks who might have an answer!

First, does anyone know what the ratio of sand to cement is in the Quikrete Vinyl Patcher?

Last weekend a friend showed me how to make concrete leaf castings. We used Quikrete vinyl patcher, and just let it dry for a few days before painting them. Since then I've learned a few things, so I have some ideas and questions I want to run by you all for input.

First, I am interested in using something a little more lightweight, like hypertufa (although less coarse in texture). I'm hoping for something that is somewhat smooth AND somewhat light... is this even possible?

I was considering using the Quikrete with peat moss and perlite. But am I going to be off on my sand/cement ratio because of the Quikrete mix?

The recipe I am considering (please, suggestions are welcome!):

2 parts Quikrete mortar mix (cement/sand/vinyl)

1 part peat moss

1 part perlite

I do also have some bonding liquid I can add if that would be helpful. Would adding more sand make it stronger, but heavier? And how much peat moss and perlite can I safely use?

Then I was going to let them sit for a day, remove the leaf, then give them a water bath for at least a couple of weeks.

So, would this recipe blow up in my face? Any tips?

Sorry about the slurry of questions, but being new to this process means I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me.

Thanks for any help!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21