SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

My New Zebra Plant (Picture)

16 years ago

Hello,

I was hoping some of you can tell me how to care for my new Zebra Plant(my very first). I received this as a gift with this Plant Stand. I really love it, but know nothing on how to properly take care of it. The first thing I did was repot it with very fast draining soil. Was told it was from H. Depot, it was soaking wet when I got it.

I plan on leaving it outside in my coverede entry way. Gets indirect light, no direct sun. Is this okay?

Any help is appreciated, thanks...

{{gwi:83358}}

Comments (26)

• 16 years ago

Hey Pug, what a nice Zebra and pot AND stand..I just noticed the stand was attached? to the pot..
    I've had my Zebra about 3 years..They love humidity, bright light but no direct summer south or west sun, and fresh air.
    Actually, well-draining soil works, but you'll have to water more..if soil dries too much, leaves droop. After watering they'll perk up, but it may drop leaves.
    I allow the soil to dry a bit, then water heavily..Once a week it gets a shower; since yours is outdoors, (lucky you) you can hose foliage.
    As far as getting it to reflower, next year, I've no idea..I've read, after a Zebra flowers, cut back nearest the base..I don't have the heart to prune drastically..but by being chicken, my Zebra never flowered again..:(
    Zebra's are slow-growing so fertilize with diluted all purpose plant food. I wonder if a flowering fert would help reflower, or if you really have to cut back in order to get second, third, etc blooms???

I checked out one plant book, Hyponex. Care instructions:
    2-3 hours of sun in winter, bright indirect in summer.
    Average house temps, cooler in winter..suffers over 75F.
    Pot in All Purpose or African Violet soils.
    Water every day or two. or enough to keep soil evenly moist. Drying out causes rapid leaf loss..Mist often.
    Feed: Alternate with all purpose foliage and blooming plant food, year round, follow container directions..(I disagree about the year round...I'd stop in winter, or cut back..since you're in Florida, you may get away with it..but for those of us living in cold climates, I don't think it's a good idea)(There's my answer about fertilizing w/both all purpose and flowering plant food..)
    Dry soil and hot, dry, stale air cause the leaves to fall.
    Propagation: Root tip cuttings, air layer..(Maybe that's the answer..Air-layering after flower dies back..hmm, something to ponder..) By doing so, you'll have two plants..
    Good luck, Pug..Toni

• 16 years ago

Thanks Toni,

That is exactly the information I was hoping for. I really appreciate it.

Since I have it in fast draining soil, I will just have to make sure I check the soil often so that the soil doesn't dry out too much. I will try alternating bloom booster and all purpose fertilizer. I would love to get it to re-bloom but it is the leaves that I really like on this plant. I guess it wouldn't be the worse thing that happens.

Yes the pot (bucket) style is part of the Plant Stand. I have the Zebra in a different pot that goes in on top of the (bucket style). So that if I need to water,fertilize all I do is take it out.

• Related Discussions

Peacock ginger? Prayer plant? zebra plant? Suggestions?

Q

Comments (11)
    There is a very hardy bromeliad that has green leaves with simple red blooms that doesn't grow more then a foot high. I can't remember the name of it but both my parents and I have decent sized patches of them and I've never seen any frost damage on them even though we live in a cold spot in zone 9a. You could plant something like that and mix some other plants like jungle gold peacock ginger or purple queen in for some extra summer time color. Here's what the brom looks like when not in bloom. If you're interested I can probably bread off a few starts from one of the larger clumps of plants and mail them to you. Here's another tough variety of brom that I unfortuneatly don't know the name of. The trick to finding cold hardy broms seems to be in how serrated the leaf edges are. It seems like the more teeth a plant has the hardier it is! And here's a variety of brom that I think is related to the painted finger nail. These are growing at the base of a large oak and I've never covered them even in the hardest freeze. Jungle gold peacock ginger and another type that again I can't quite remember the name of. I believe that jungle gold is the largest of the peacock gingers but it still doesn't get over a foot tall. Kara
    ...See More

Please help with my zebra cactus!

Q

Comments (14)
    I agree completely with losing the sand. Perlite has been doing exceptionally well in all my experiments with it. Succulents in western Oregon in winter in a cold apartment in a southern window root better in perlite than in soil, vermiculite, chicken grit, pumice, or any combination I've tried. I didn't expect it to perform so well. Succulents root well, grow well, and don't rot in it. Pumice is second best, but falls pretty far behind. If I might weigh-in on the summer/winter dormancy issue, it appears to me that temperature has as much, if not more influence than photoperiod on growth rate in summer-dormant species. I'm sure it varies by species, but when I added bottom heat to some summer-dormant species that weren't growing at all this winter, they all took off. HUGE difference. One little Sansevieria went from totally dormant for 4 months to growing an inch-tall spike of 5 new leaves in just a couple weeks. All I did was set them on small Repti-therm reptile heaters that cost $8. The difference in all the heated plants is staggering. If your Haworthia is warm in winter, it'll likely grow well and use more water. If it's cold, water it less. Nothing really likes to get bone dry because that kills root hairs, and whole root systems. With no roots, it can't take up water so it just sits in the damp soil until it grows new roots, and that leads to rot as quickly as too much water. Most succulents want to retain just enough moisture to keep the roots alive during dormancy. Just my two cents.
    ...See More

My zebra plant is on its way to blooming!!

Q

Comments (5)
    Yea! Your plant looks very nice! Be sure to post a picture of the blooms for us when they open. I have a Haworthia fasciata blooming now, too. It's sprawling across a couple of other plants, including an Aloe 'Firebird' that is in bloom. The sun is higher in the sky now and it is no longer protected from full sun. It's getting a little crispy on the tips, so I'd better move it before it gets too bad.
    ...See More

Can i cut back my leggy zebra plant(Aphelandra) stems and start over

Q

Comments (1)
    2 leggy stems with 4 leaves each sounds a lot like a struggling plant, and the rate of cutting success decreases dramatically as vitality in the parent plant diminishes; so, if you need the cuttings to be successful, you'd be better served to get the plant back on track before you take the cuttings. Out of habit, and because it's the best way to get your plant back on track, I'd depot, bare-root, root prune, repot into an appropriate soil, keep the plant in the shade outdoors and keep the soil damp/moist, never wet/soggy. When the plant back-buds (it will), give the new leaves a chance grow a bit, then cut the plant back and stick the cuttings. Al
    ...See More
  • 16 years ago

Thanks Pug..It's really a nice-looking setup. Where on earth did you find it? If you don't mind me asking...
    I'd keep an eye on the soil, in case leaves start drooping..a definate indication your Zebra needs a drink..does the pot have drainage holes?
    Even though, most people are better off using pots with drainage, a non-drainage pot works as long as soil isnt overwatered..I have several pots w/o drainage..since my soil is well-draining, and I don't water unless plants needs it, they do fine..
    I'm going to do the same, alternate fertilizers..just thinking of cutting my Zebra back, is upsetting..Mine has one main branch, then two branches grew out..I considered cutting one branch, just to see the results, but need to check plant books when pruning should be done..they say after flowering..it's been years since mine flowered..lol..The Zebra was a gift, so I didn't want the giver thinking I ruined such a nice present..try explaing to a non-plant-person pruning needs to be done..LOL..As soon as I find out info on pruning time I'll let you know..Good luck, Toni

• 16 years ago

Toni,

Thanks, My DH gave me the plant stand for my birthday. He said he bought it at Kmart. I really like it. Actually the plant is in a separate pot that has drainage holes. I water it, let it drain then put it back in the plant stand pot.

While doing some research today I came across this website, if you scroll down under "comments", it suggests that you should prune Zebra plants in March. Since it is only the first week of April, maybe you should prune it now.

Let me know if you do and how it turns out, I will be pruning mine after the flower dies.

Here's the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Zebra Plant (Pruning)

• 16 years ago

Mine blew all of its lower leaves shortly after I got it and then most of the other leaves over the past couple of months. I think right now it's got like... two or three of the leaves it had originally. I'm still not sure why because I'm pretty sure I was watering it right, and I can't see any way humidity was an issue... so... either it's just something that happens, or it was damaged in shipping.

Anyway, I should probably have pruned mine but it looks like it's starting to do alright now. Lots of new grow that's not brown or wilted or deformed, and it'll be able to go outside soon.

Also it sounds like you can pretty much just hack the top part off, root it, and let another plant grow out of the old stump too?

• 16 years ago

Puglvr,
    That is a really beautiful plant! And I am LOVING the plant stand! It's the cutest one I have ever seen. Good luck with your plant. I would like to have one of those some day...
    Lori

• 16 years ago

amccour, I hope your plant does well, sounds like it is on the right track now though. I have never had this plant, so it will be interesting to see how I do with it. I will trim it when the flower dies and try to root it the cutting. Good luck with yours!

Lori, thanks for the compliment, it is CUTE, very tropical looking...Hope I can keep it looking close to this healthy.

Toni, I posted my first Gardenia blooms on the fragrant forum if you want to see it. I'm pretty excited! Since you give so much advise on this plant, I thought I would share some success...

• 16 years ago

Pug, what an insightful link!! Thanks..Oh Pug, I fear pruning back..LOL..You're definately going to prune? I should ask you to try it, then tell me how it works..LOL.
    Can I use the top for propagting? Do you think it'd root? What would I have to do? Water/soil?
    I've got the Zebra sitting next to me, contemplaing whether or not to prune..It stands 19" from pot bottom to highest leaf.
    A new plant sprouted from the side. It's 9 1/2" tall and has 6 small, 2-4" leaves..this new growth makes things complicated..If I cut back six-inches, there goes the new baby..Since the trunk is thick, what do I do?
    The main trunk is 1+" diameter..I exlained to dh, asking his opinion, since he gave me the Zebra as a gift..he nodded..lol..
    He bought it in spring, it was in flower..so does that mean this Zebra is spring flowering? I've never seen one in bloom during fall, they must be forced into flower.
    Every book I have says to prune after flowering..

Amc, are you going to prune? Since some of your leaves dropped, perhaps you were underwatering..When soil of Zebras dry too much, leaves fall..then again, they probably wouldn't like sitting in muddy soil either..I let mine dry a little between waterings, but if it dries too much, branches/leaves wilt..that's when it goes in the sink and either gets hosed or I fill sink w/warm water, set pot in sink, long enough water absorbs into drainage holes to the top. Are you saying new leaves are growing in bare spots where old leaves dropped?

Pug, I'll check out the Fragrant Forum..Umm, bet flowers are scenting up the house..Congrats, Toni

• 16 years ago

Hi Toni,

I would never "tell" you to prune yours, just suggest it,LOL...just in case you don't like the outcome. I am definitely pruning mine after the flower is done. If you want I will let you know how mine turns out. The only thing is it will be several weeks, maybe months because some of the articles I've read suggests that the flower lasts several weeks?

Yes you can use the top for propagating. It says you can root in water and then plant in soil when its rooted.

I read one article that says they usually bloom in the fall, but with the right conditions, long days, plenty of bright light(not direct sun),high humidity,etc, it can be "forced" to bloom at any time. That's probably why mine is blooming in the spring. I'm sure it just came from the plants greenhouse(perfect enviroment) before H. Depot received it.

Will keep you posted when I prune mine(assuming it makes it) that far, LOL...

• 16 years ago

Pug, there's no reason you can't keep your Zebra..First, you live in sunny, humid Florida. Second, obviously, you love plants, so it'll be taken care of properly.
    The pruning part, now I don't know how that'll work..Remember I had my Zebra sitting next to me yesterday? Well, it went back on shelf..LOL..
    So, you're saying the top roots in water? Did it menion how long cuttings should be? If I do it, I'm going to try one stem in water, the other in soil. Wrap plastic around both cuttings, for humidity, set in a warm, bright spot, then wait for results..to be honest, I'm scared, lol, but even if both stems die, the bottom should grow. Maybe twice as thick..Since I firmly believe in Superthrive, especially for cuttings/seedlngs, I'll add some in the soil. I don't know how it works in water, but I'll add a drop or two each time I add more water..I should do it now, while it's on my mind..LOL..we'll see..if pruning promotes flowering, it's well worth it..Talk me into it, convince me, girl..LOL..Toni

• 16 years ago

One thing I'm doing that I'm not sure is *right* is that I don't soak the soil when I water the plant. Various sources have said they like smaller amounts of water more often than lots of water all at once. This does sort of run against what I've generally been told about watering plants in general.

Three things, though, that make me think this might be working. First, the soil the plant is in doesn't dry down all that fast. In my case, this might be the biggest factor. I think that in this case, if I let the soil soak through completely, I'd run the risk of the plant staying too wet for too long.

Second, the trunk looks sort of succulent. I have no idea if it really is or not, but it looks like it might be.

Third, I'm growing it as a house plant, so its growth is fairly slow because of less-than-optimal lighting conditions. That being the case, I don't imagine it's currently needing a lot of water.

In any case, I haven't noticed any wilting, its looking like it's doing better now, and if the leaf drop from before was from me watering it wrong, it was definitely from over-watering and not underwatering.

• 16 years ago

Hey Toni, boy I really don't want to talk you into pruning your Zebra, I don't want you to "blame" me if you don't like the result...LOL. But I did find a good website that you might want to check out. It tells you about the rooting process and the cutting size recommended. Posted it on the bottom. Hope this helps you decide. Let me know what you decide to do. (o:

Amcour, I have read the same thing about this plant. That it prefers to be moist at all times, never let it dry out or it loses its lower leaves. I am also the type of person that likes to water everything "thoroughly" let it dry out somewhat and then drench it well. One of the reasons I repotted it in fast draining soil, so I can do just that. Water it well every couple of days during the hot florida season, without risking root rot.

Only time will tell if this will work since this plant is new to me and I haven't had it long. One plus for me is we have the high humidity almost 9-10 months a year. Good luck with your plant...

Here is a link that might be useful: Zebra Plant

• 16 years ago

I wonder if underpotting them might be a good idea, as far as keeping the water levels right goes. Anyone know how they respond to being potbound?

• 16 years ago

Amccour, what plant do you mean? You said some plant looks succulent. Are you talking about a Zebra, or some other plant? If Zebra, they're not succulent at all, they're definately tropical. Read the thread Pug posted.

Pug, that website had me laughing. They wrote, Zebras live in temps similar to homes in Colorado. Do Colorado people keep their heat set different than homes in other states? LOLOL.
    Oh I know you're not trying to talk me into pruning my Zebra. Got some plants today from Ebay, so once I start working on them, think I'll just do it: Prune the darn Zebra. I wish I'd pruned back in March, unless I wait till next March, but it'll take longer to bloom, if it blooms..Lol. I wonder if flowers grow off new growth, does anyone know?
    Pug, according to the link, it recommends potting in well-draining soil. I've read it before on other sites, but don't understand the reason behind it. IMO, most plants need to dry between waterings, (most, not all) why then would we pot in a well-draining soil and not a soil that stays moist?? Perhaps Vermiculte? Toni

Amccour, if watering little at a time works best for you then continue watering sip after sip, but be careful. Make sure the roots are getting watered. My grandmother watered her AV sip by sip, and the plant thrived and flowered year round. LOL. I'd be afraid certain plants would die. Succulents may be overwatered, and water-loving plants not getting enough to drink. How long have you been watering this way? Toni

• 16 years ago

Since sometime after it dropped most of its leaves (or slightly before, when most of them were brownish and dying back). Prior to that I was soaking thoroughly, then letting it dry down between watering. I still let it dry down, but I just don't give it as much watering in between. As I said, the potting mix doesn't dry out very fast, the plant's not growing fast, and it's in a colder room anyway, so less drying out. None of the new foliage has been responding badly too this. I also think it might be overpotted, but I'm not sure about that. I'd rather move it to a smaller pot and be able to water it as I normally would water other plants, but I have no idea how much pot space these need.

• 16 years ago

Toni, that was pretty funny about Colorado home temps. Maybe someone asked whether Zebra Plants do well in Colorado, that's why it was written that way??

I'm assuming that the well draining soil is so that you water it well and let it dry out just a "little" and water well again. For that to work the soil can't be too heavy "too much peat or else root rot is more than likely to occur. Especially because this plants likes the soil moist, there is a better chance of root rot if watered often, that's why draining soil is recommended. That's my guess anyway?

amccour, I am leaning on your idea that they probably prefer to be kept a little under potted. I only base this on the fact that if you see them at the nursery, they are always in smaller pots, even though the plant is pretty good size. I think when you place this in a bigger pot it has a tendency to grow leggy. This one websites I read, suggest you should prune this plant once the flowers are done, to keep it from getting leggy. Pruning it also promotes a shorter more compact shape. Short and wide as opposed to tall and leggy. They recommend keeping it in the same size pot, just add fresh soil. Trimming roots is recommended if its rootbound, so it will fit back in the same pot. I will be experimenting with my plant and see how it goes, if it makes it that long, LOL... In theory it sounds like that it would work, seeing it first hand is another...

• 16 years ago

Amccour, do you find yourself watering when bored, or just enjoy watering plants? If so, then it's best underpotting. If necessary, every single plant in the house. LOL. Some people I've talked to water when they're bored, and others think they MUST water plants a certain day of the week even if soil is wet.
    I've read, (via plant books) flowering plants do best when underpotted/rootbound. For some reason snuggly roots help promote flowering. I don't understand the logic, since flowering plants grown in the ground has more space than the largest container made, yet they bloom, but there is a difference when plants grow outside, compared to living in our homes, so perhaps that's the answer.
    Like Pug suggested, keeping roots trimmed, like Bonsai, work if you want to keep the same size container. And pruning keeps a plant compact. Some plants, like Wandering Jew, Purple Passion, should be pruned, otherwise they grow spidly and look awful, especially in winter.

Pug, how is your Zebra coming along? Are flowers still living? It's been years since mine flowered, I can't recall the length of time Zebras' flower. The longest growing flower is Bromiliad. My favorite is A. fasciata. Pink flowers, last 8 months!!!
    I 'still' haven't pruned Zebra. LOL. Especially now that new leaves grew in, (since daylight is longer) I wonder how tall a Zebra grows in nature? Does anyone know? And how do they reflower when grown in their native habitat? No one comes along and prunes. LOL. Do seed fall, and new plants grow? What happens to mother plants? We try duplicating plants' growth, step by step, so how in the world do they reflower, if mom plant reflowers? Wish there was a website that explained their pattern. Or a plant book, that goes into all plant history, etc. Oh well, maybe one day, an author will write a book, detailing information we need to know. I'd also like to find a book/site that explains which fertilizers are best for every plant known to man. LOL Toni

• 16 years ago

Hey Toni,

Zebra Plant Flower is still alive!! surprise me, that's for sure, LOL...Will trim it as soon as it dies and see what happens. Also if I don't prune it, it won't fit in the New plant stand. It will be too tall.

Just wanted to share a picture with you of my Desert Rose, Adenium Obesum I think it is. Do you have one of these? I really LOVE this plant, its been pretty easy for me to care of and always flowers for me. One good example of trimming to keep it compact. When I got it was small and had only a 3-4 branches. When it started growing it wasn't getting more branches, only getting taller. So I pruned it very heavily to promote more branches to grow shorter and wider instead of tall and leggy. Last year I cut it severly again ( which took care of some mealies) and took off all the leaves, it was bald, LOL... after I got done with it. Actually scared me, thought I almost killed it. But worked exactly the way I was hoping. It's been blooming, May is when I have more blooms that leaves, it seems like.

Take care,

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:83353}}

• 16 years ago

Oh Pug, yes, it's Desert Rose, and OHHH SOOO beautiful! I've never seen one quite as compact, ALL those flowers!! I'm jealous. LOL.
    Well, whatever you did, ridding, (of all bugs,) Mealy, the worse plant insect known to man) your Adenium appreciates its care, and rewarded you generously. I love its trunk. It's huge! It looks braided. Is it? Or is that how the trunk grew naturally?
    You said you pruned? Is pruning all it took to rid mealy, or did you spray? An insecticide?
    What month do you prune?
    You see, the problem with pruning in my zone opposed to yours is, when you prune, (considering the climate) new growth pops up three times faster there than if I pruned in my zone. Then there's the problem with removing bud/flower stems. (especially w/Hoya, I refuse cutting)

Do I have one? NOPE, I have 3. LOL. I can't remember where I got the first, it's growing in a standard pot. I bought a second at HD. It has a huge trunk (not as large as yours) on sale for 11.00. Couldn't pass it up. It's in a bonsai container, but I may repot in a standard pot. Then last autumn, while browsing Ebay, I came across a nursery that had Variegated Adeniums for 7.00. The reason it was inexpensive is, it arrived bare root. No leaves whatsoever. I planted in soil, set in a semi-shady south window alongside two bare root Crown of Thorns. The Adenium now has 3 variegated leaves. LOL. Hey, it's slow, but alive. I too was frightened. Thought it'd die especially being shipped so late in the year. I hope/can't wait, until it's mature, looks half as nice as yours.
    My older DR's bloom between May and July. I don't know if pruning after July is a good idea. Do you root prune, too?
    Pug, I've got to hand it to you. The two plants you've posted are beautiful. Do you have a website?

Good luck with the Zebra. So far, so good huh? I looked at my Zebra once again last night, spotted new leaves on top, then quivered. Just the thought of pruning frightens me. LOL. Although I know it should be done, if I ever want to see blooms. Wish someone here with Zebra expereience, lots of it, chimed in. LOL. Especially someone who lives in a cold climate.
    Pug, what other plants do you have? Do you outdoor garden, too? Toni

• 16 years ago

I should have known you had 3 of these plants Toni, LOL...I have never seen the variegated one here in my area. I bought mine at H. Depot 3 years or so? I had a smaller one was in a bonsai style, but I accidentally left in outside when we had a freeze 28 degrees, and it turned mushy.

You are right, we have the weather here for a lot faster growth. I trimmed mine severely because of the bugs it was Oct '06. I sprayed it with some diluted neem oil/water. I have read that these are pretty picky from insecticides. But all the leaves started yellowing and falling off. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone. Since it was losing leaves like crazy because of the insecticide anyways, I would go ahead and prune off the branches. Once I trimmed it, I re-sprayed the leafless branches with neem again just to kill off any eggs. I did it 3 times total in weekly intervals. By the following March it started to get some flowers and the leaves started growing. So far so good.It was in a 6" pot I think when I bought it, now it is in a 18" pot.

I up-potted mine every 4-6 months to get the caudex to show more each time. I would raise the plant every time I up-potted it. I trimmed a little of the roots, not much since I also used a little bigger pot. The roots are NOT braided. It just did it naturally, I never did anything to it except trim the top and raise the caudex.

No website Toni, but I do have a lot of Fruit Trees outside I planted 11-12 months ago. We just moved to this house a year and a half ago. I love tropical fruits so I planted several of them. I have a potted kumquat,Dwarf lemon, 2 potted Mango trees. I have 4 different Varieties of Mango trees, 2 different varieties of Lychee trees, and a Pineapple Guava all planted outside in the ground. I have a small collection of Jades and succulents, Christmas Cactus,Hoyas, Lipstick plant etc... in pots too. I've been looking for a goldfish plant but no one here carries it. I prefer not to order on line until I have tried every possible way of getting it without shipping charges, LOL

Remember when I said that May is the best month for my D. Rose? I posted a pic below that was taken last year, 7 months after I pruned it severely and got rid of the aphids...Thanks for the nice compliments, Toni! (o:

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:83355}}

• 16 years ago

Oh Pug, look at your Palm in the background!! You probably don't think twice about it, like I ignore maples growing here. To be honest, I dislike maple trees, especially the one we have out back. A huge, green, pain in the butt tree, tosses millions of seeds, germinate, roots grow deep, hard to pluck seedlings, then in autumn, hundreds of leaves change color, drop and need raking. Like I said, a Pain. I like Dogwood, Magnolia and a few others. But no tree compares to a mature palm. They're beautiful.
    Wowee, what a group of fruit trees! How tall is your Pinapple Guava? Does it frut? Also, what size and type are your lemons. I've never seen Mango or Lychee trees. Which Kumquat do you have. Nagami, Meiwa or another? Do you eat fruit? What, no bananas? LOL

Are you originally from Fl? Over the years, I've talked to people born and raised in cold climates, moved to Fl, and swore they'd never return to their birth place. Though a few say they miss 4 seasons. Why would anyone miss ice and snow? And shoveling. I tell them, return to your birth place, view the snow, especailly on Christmas, then head back after the holidays.
    Don a sleeveless shirt, get hold of a shovel, and start hauling 10 lbs of white stuff. LOL..They should stick to viewing Christmas cards or winter scene postcards. LOL

Are your house plants indoors or outside? Every so often Home Depot sells Goldfish Plants. Mostly in spring or fall. Living in Fl, I'd imagine nursery's galore. NO?
    How about asking a nurseryperson to special order? Some places will do so without charging additional fees. Though it depends on the nursery; family owned businesses are more willing to do it. It doesn't hurt to ask, especially if you really want a certain plant.
    Forget larger places like HD and Lowes, they could care less.
    www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com sells Goldfish plants. Prices are reasonable, shipping costs not too bad.
    I also like shopping at www.almostedenplants.com It's so easy to order online. LOL. I don't like paying for shipping either, but Pug, if it wasn't for internet nurseries, I wouldn't have half the plants I do. There's a local nursery, a good 30 miles north, that sells rarer plants, including GF. Their larger plants are EXPENSIVE, but they also have aisle after aisle of 4" potted plants for 3.95. No shipping costs, instead tax.
    Living in Fl, do your Chistmas Cactus bloom? Is there anything special you have to do to get them to bud?

See what I mean about pruning a plant there? You pruned 7 months before the pic was taken. If I had pruned, it might be 7 years before looking like yours. LOL.
    There's a poster on Tropical forum named Fawnridge. He too lives in Fl. His gardens are beautiful, so serene.
    Count your blessings, have fun. Toni

• 16 years ago

You're right Toni, I didn't even notice the palm trees, LOL...We have several date palms and several others, I don't even know what the name is? They grow here almost like weeds, LOL!!

I attached a picture of my Pineapple Guava below, I actually bought it when it was already good size, got an excellent deal, $50. It was in a 15 gallon pot was already over 5 ft tall. I bought/planted it Nov'06. It flowered last year in May/June but no fruits. Its a mixed opinion on whether they fruit here in Central Florida. Some say they need more cold nights to fruit, which doesn't happen here during spring and summer for us. Even though it might never get fruit, I don't mind. I LOVE the tree and the flowers are really pretty...My pineapple guava is appx. 7ft tall now, hope to get flowers in 6 weeks or so?

I was actually born in the Philippines and lived in Guam, California and Florida. My Dad was in the army many years ago. Met my Mom in the Philippines. I have lived in Florida for almost 16 years, moved from California. So you see I have lived around Tropical Fruits almost all of my life.

Most of my plants are outside, I only bring them in on the occasional cold nights. I live in a fairly small town, less than 10,000 population. Not too many nurseries, I have asked all of them, but none would special order my goldfish. But I will keep looking, I am very persistent.Thanks for the info on some of the plant websites, I will check them out.

Yes my cactus plants(3rd pic) blooms every year around Dec, Jan that's when we get the shorter days and cool nights which they like. So I only usually get one bloom a year. I have a Dwarf Meyer Lemon and a Nagami (longer oval shape). Oh I also have Papaya, but NO Bananas, no room!!

I posted a pic of one of My Mango tree(1st pic), and Lychee tree(2nd pic) so you can see what it looks like. They are both only about a year since I planted it, no fruits yet. The red leaves are new growths. You will have to copy and paste it, I don't know how to add several pics under one URL box, sorry! Thanks Toni...I could have put in on my post, but I don't know how to shrink it down so it doesn't take up so much room.

http://shutter07.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/22/004/79/BB/F8/5C/3U7PusY6s-z328n60Iaw7ea-l+Ju-P5Q0280.jpg

http://shutter09.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/21/001/7F/8D/23/B7/x7xqm0QUEN7X4AhuWhD+B6AK86B3azjX0300.jpg

http://shutter10.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/17/006/6F/F6/FB/27/fAFAkfgnu1GRBQEDpMQxYDb8UzO7pbpA0280.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:83357}}

• 15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your Zebra looks great!

I live in Orlando,FL and my apartment gets a lot of sunlight. I have read many stories of how hard this plant is to grow and to get to re-bloom. I thought to myself ohhh no...

I purchased my zebra plant from Wal-Mart for $4.95 in the August of 2007 it was 4 inches tall. Not knowing anything about this plant I picked the only one that was not have a yellow bud. Before November it had bloomed twice. In 2008 my plant sprouted two more blooms between March and July. Most recently in early late October to December of 2008 my "Precious" sported (5)five Saffron Towers. {{gwi:83360}}From Blogger Pictures

Just last week I cut it back to 3 which still look great in January 2009 and is 24 inches tall. I water this plant every other day. I use Schultz 10.15.10 Plant Food Plus.

I continue to be amazed by my Zebra's development

Here is a link that might be useful: My Zebra Plant

• 15 years ago

Hi Monique,

Thanks for sharing your beautiful Zebra Plant picture!! Seems like you have this plant all figured out, Great Job!! Unfortunately...w/out boring you with all the details, I lost my plant. I am contemplating getting another one, just haven't decided if I will or not. I have been addicted to Hoyas for a while now, and that is all I seem to be wanting lately...

Thanks for sharing!!

• 15 years ago

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can help me.I bought a zebra plant a month ago and seems to be doing quite nicely. But, I've noticed on the stems, tiny white dots. Also, on the leaves there are a very few brown holes in the leaves. Does this mean I'm over watering it or that there is a fungus? My plant is an indoor plant. When I water it, I just put a plate under the pot and add water to the plate, then after about 20 minutes I discard any water that is left on the plate. Please help!!

• 15 years ago

Sounds like bugs, maybe. White spots could be scales, and brown holes generally sounds like something is eating it. Although, the stems kind of have spots on them anyway. They're more like raised, greenish bumps, though.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus