SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nckvilledudes

Stepping stones with embedded cast leaves

18 years ago

HI all. I am wanting to make some stepping stones in which cast leaves are placed so they are on the surface of the stones. The cast leaves will be prefinished and polyurethaned and are not flat in nature. I have a dilema as to how to go about doing this as I have two ways I am thinking of doing it. I would appreciate any feedback I can get.

What I plan on doing will be to make my forms out of wood and screw the pieces of wood together to make it easier to get the finished stones out. The forms will be two or three inches high and placed on a flat surface and then lined with thick plastic. Now here's the dilema. I have thought of two ways to proceed and here they are:

1)Pour the Quickcrete into the form and let it set up to some degree and then press the prefinished cast leaves into the stones. This will prevent the Quickcrete from running over and onto the leaves or if any does run over, it can be easily removed.

2)Lay the prefinished cast leaves in the bottom of the form upside down and run a bead of caulk around the leaf to prevent the Quickcrete from running under the leaves.

Which sounds the best way to procede? Or if you have something else in mind or have done, please make any suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments (14)