SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jzk100

In-dorm Gardening Issues

JZK100
10 years ago

Hey all,

I'm having some trouble with a couple of plants I'm keeping in my dorm.

I've posted a couple pictures of them, along with the general set-up I have.
Also, if the soil looks darker than it should be, it may be because I just watered the little guys.

I have them on my desk right now, with a normal desk lamp (40watt bulb) as a light source. They get watered from the bottom-up via saucers. Everything was just fine until a couple of weeks ago. I brought them home for spring break, as I have for other breaks, and they decided that the trip back was just too much. When they got back to my dorm, they started having these issues.
(Also, a side note that may or may not be helpful: I was using a different light source at home. I had a 60watt grow bulb, and a bigger window. Could a switch in light sources cause problems?)

With the basil, I'm thinking it's an over-watering or under-watering issue. I'm just not sure which. The leaves are wrinkly, leathery, and almost deflated-looking. There are also some brown spots at the very tips of some of the leaves, along with a few small holes/tears.
The leaves at the bottom of the plant are starting to turn a yellow-y green, which makes me think it's an over-watering issue, but I tried letting the soil dry out for a couple of days and it didn't make a difference.

The african violet issue is pretty self-explanatory with the picture. The edges of the leaves are turning a white-tan color, and it's slowly working its to the center of the leaves. The edges of the leaves are also starting to curl under, but a couple of the leaf tips are actually starting to curl over the leaf. I have absolutely no idea what's causing it.
It's trying to flower, though, and the new leaves look healthy enough, if a bit crowded by the older leaves.

The problem with these guys is probably pretty obvious, and I'm just too dense a gardener to see it. Any help from you more experienced plant-keepers would be much appreciated!

This post was edited by JZK100 on Sat, Apr 5, 14 at 15:21

Comments (9)