SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
harvestmann

30 F. one week after petal fall

alan haigh
13 years ago

We got around 30F early this morning about 7 days after petal fall of latest flowering apples. I'm assessing damage in my orchard and nursery as this is the latest I've ever seen this hard of a frost- that is latest in terms of how developed leaves and fruit are. You know it can't be normal as the Virginia creeper is badly frozen at the edge of my property.

My land is quite sloping with a lot of rock outcrops so damage is uneven. In my nursery mulberry leaves were completely frozen and I assume killed while more mature mulberries in other locations are undamaged.

Plum fruit has taken a terrible hit, with lots of translucent fruit that is now useless. Fortune seems disproportionately damaged.

I have a Lapins cherry right next to a Kristin and the Lapin fruit looks much more damaged.

Peaches appear to be fine but nectarines are showing at least some damage- not sure how much. Apples, Asian and Euro pears appear unscathed.

I covered my most important exposed potted fig so it was fine but nursery trees are badly burned.

The kiwis have all new vegetative wood burned but flowering wood underneath has lots of undamaged leaves and flowers. I probably lost my paw-paw crop- but I won't weep for that fruit.

I'm crying for much of my plum crop, praying for nectarines and thankful for everything that made it and for an extended forecast with no more frost.

Comments (12)