SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jansenfamily_gw

What's eating my squash!?

jansenfamily
13 years ago

Hi everyone, newbie here!! I have a pretty huge garden, mostly tomatoes but also some herbs, string beans, cukes, zucchini, strawberries, peppers. Last year as an even newer newbie, I had pumpkin and canteloupe and zucchini overtaking everything, so this year I planted those along the edge of the garden all the way around- we have a rabbit type fence around the garden. It's all been going pretty well, but I am finding that some of my pumpkins and butternut squash- a LOT of them- which are growing on the outside of the fence are chewed up. We have grown pumpkin a few years in a row- not fenced- and never had anything eat it before. It's really disappointing. Still have a good number of butternut squash safe within the garden, but we've probably lost about 8 to these nibbles. The main suspects here on our property would be groundhogs and deer. Is there any advice for this at all?? Also, we planted a large patch of sweet corn- first try- and it has been decimated, presumably be deer. We have tall stalks, corn was coming, now gone. ARGH! So, if anyone has any advice, I would love to hear it.

Comments (3)