SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raisemybeds

Victory over SVB is mine!

raisemybeds
16 years ago

I have removed the floating lightweight row covers that have been covering my 2 plantings of Golden Zucchini and Italian Marrow squash - both bush varieties growing in small raised beds near one another. SVB seems to be gone from my garden now. It had been flying about since early in July, with nothing appropriate to light upon, due to my diligence. I had hand-pollinated my covered bush squashes all this time, resulting in a moderate but not explosive yield. Now that they are uncovered, the huge, vigorous plants are starting to crank out fruits in greater numbers with the aid of pollinating insects which now have access to the blooms. No SVB damage whatsoever!

In addition, late-planted Yellow Crookneck, and Patty Pan have also been uncovered and they are just now getting very sizable with small fruits and lots of flower developing. Also unscathed.

Third part of my 3-prong approach, the planting of resistant varieties on the other side of the garden, has also succeeded, as I have mature Tromboncino and Cucuzzi vines putting out nice fruits regularly.

Conclusion - with patience, and a good plan, I believe I have side-stepped the SVB. The key with covering the plantings has been to limit the early bush-type squashes to just a couple so that an average cover will go over the area for a whole month - because remember - just a single plant gets monstrous during July. That way you get SOME fruits early, then your vining resistant squashes start to come in, and then finally your late plantings will start to fruit, and you will have squash all season long with probably way too much from all 3 sources towards season's end.

Make sense? Anyone else have success with the row covers?

Comments (15)