SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
m_lorne

Help for next year's new garden

m_lorne
15 years ago

Hello all,

First, thank you everyone for the great information that is shared on a daily basis around here. Secondly, sorry for the length of this post, but I am having difficulty knowing where to start.

My current garden is a very small suburban garden, with two square-foot beds and a number of large containers growing tomatoes and peppers. Total size is around 55-60 square feet, growing a wide variety of vegetables. This is primarily a learning process garden and boy have I learned alot (and managed to harvest some nice fresh veggies along the way).

In March of 2009, my wife and I have the opportunity to move onto a farm just north of our current location. It is approx. 40-50 acres, with perhaps 20 acres as a tree farm, 10 acres for lawn/house/barns etc. and about 10 acres of hay fields. For reasons not entirely relevant, my new garden area will be limited to a few areas currently used as a small hay field, some grass lawn and mixed grass/scrub by the barns. Total area could equal up to an acre or and acre and a half, but most likely the total size will be around 250 square feet. I am unsure of the soil composition at this point, but according to the soil maps, it is a "light grey, calcareous, loam and sandy loam till", and the area seems to be a very prosperous agricultural area.

So, if you are still awake, here are the questions:

1. New bed establishment - I am confused as to which way to go. I like the idea of bio-intensive gardening (i.e. feeding the soil organically) but I fear that double digging (or even single digging) a new bed of any size is going to be beyond my ability in terms of physical labour and time. Further, I currently have a large compost pile going, and by the end of the season I should have approximately 1-2 cubic yards of good quality compost. I have read about (and been convinced) the damage that deep rototilling can do to soils, and thus would like to avoid that if at all possible. So, given the size and my preferences for no-till/feeding the soil, what are my options?

2. Raised beds or no? I think in the ideal world, I would be able to raise all of the beds and have nice, deep 10" boxes with good, fertile, well drained, organic material. However, I think given the size of the desired area, this is unrealistic. I probably have access to a good deal of wood, but I don't know if it will be enough to box all of the beds. Suggestions?

3. Garden layout - To square foot or to row? I have enjoyed using the square foot method in the backyard, but I really have my doubts about it when applied to a larger scale. When it comes to large yields for large spaces, what is the prefered layout methods? Maybe a mixture of the two? Does it really depend on the fertility of the soil?

4. Compost - Being a firm believer in the values of good compost, I was wondering about the timing issues of being able to produce enough quality compost, and then how to work that into a new bed once it is done. Come March, I imagine that there will be a good deal of brown materials available for compost, but greens will definitely be a problem. Using leaves, hay residues, shredded brush, etc., and I can't see why I couldn't get three cubic yards of browns. However, using the 40:1 ratio, I would require more greens than I could ever get my hands on. Ideas?

5. Too ambitious? - The thought has occured to me that this project may be too much for a cold start on new(ish) land. Are the problems with starting the new bed or composting so significant that I should wait until 2010, and start off 2009 with a smaller garden area? For instance, I could clear and area of the grass and plant some green manures/cover crops. When cut down, they can be tilled in or thrown onto the compost. I wish I could prep/plant some now and have it ready for the late spring, but I don't currently have access to the land.

Thanks for the help everyone, and again, sorry for the length.

Michael

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County