SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
denninmi

3-5 foot tall sweet corn stalks, normal ears, who knew?

denninmi
11 years ago

I am sure that this is a phenomenon of the extraordinarily hot weather in June and early July. I started my sweet corn in May as I always do, and transplanted from cell packs the first few days of June. Although we have fairly severe drought here, and no rain to speak of in June after transplanting, I kept it very well watered, so the short stalks weren't a result of water stress. It had to be a function of our very hot weather (5 days over 100, at least 20-25 days over 90 during its in-field growth period).

When it started tasseling out in early July at knee high, I was really concerned, since stunted corn usually doesn't do too much. I decided the best approach was to try to keep it extremely well watered, and I threw another round of a balanced organic fertilizer at it.

That actually worked -- my very short little corn patch is making full sized, well filled ears for the most part. Ruby Queen is the most stunted, none if it is taller than about 3 feet, and the ears are going to be about half sized, but still edible. Sun and Stars has full sized, very nice ears, as does Sugar Pearls, those plants range from 3 feet on the very periphery of the rows where the sprinkler didn't hit well, to about 5 feet in most of the rows. The corn is coming in about 3 weeks early, it will all be harvested and put up this week.

My conclusion is that water and soil fertility are able to overcome heat stress in corn and result in a good crop anyway.

The wimpy little stalks will be a breeze to clean up.

Comments (5)