SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosieo_gw

So I want to build a grape trellis...

rosieo
10 years ago

I need to build a trellis for my grapes but the more I read, the more confused I get. My neighbors have trellises that look like clotheslines with a piece of fencing laid across the top. So you walk underneath to pick the grapes.

But the ones I see online look like thin wires stretched between poles. So you would stand in front of it to pick the grapes. That seems easier from the picker's perspective.

Which is better, stronger, longer lasting, gives the best yields? Can you point me to some simple, illustrated instructions?

I have a very handy husband who can make anything. I just need to give him some instructions to go by. I'd like to plant, I don't know, maybe 5 or 6 grapes? The space I have available is about 35' long.

Here's a photo of my neighbor's trellis. What I don't like is the fencing panels he used. The gauge is too thin and it's sagging. If it was taut it would be easier to pick. It made for very awkward picking because you have to stoop, look straight up, pick, and watch out for bees, all at the same time. So I think a vertical system would make for easier picking. What kind do you all have?

Comments (11)