SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
windfall_rob

rooting evans cherry scion?

windfall_rob
14 years ago

To make a long story short, we have ended up with two evans/bali cherry trees....but they are gafted onto mazzard roots. Nice trees, around 1" caliper about 6-7' tall and in 5 galon pots presently. I don't think mazzard will make it here in the long run and am playing with ideas for getting these trees to put down their own roots.

1-It has been suggested that I plant the trees deep (several inches of graft scion below soil) Unfortuantly the graft on these trees is already quite high (8-10" above present soil line) meaning I would have to drop them into 24" plus holes. I do have a good spot along a tall stone wall that is deeply drained and would keep the deep roots "dry" while waiting for the evans to put out their own...but I understand cherry is not as effective at doing this as apple? Anything I can do to encourage scion rooting?

2-I am toying with planting one tree near horizonatal and making an attempt to layer or stool the top 5 feet. My limited research has pointed toward burying the dormant top next spring about 2" deep and mounding as the shoots come up. Can this be done this growing season (the tree has already leafed out? Is there any additional technique to encourage rooting besides the burial such as stem constriction or girdiling. Do I need to remove flower buds before burial?

Any experience with these techniques would be appreciated.

Comments (7)