SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckyforce

A question for all you Sphere Experts out there

buckyforce
17 years ago

I made a sphere using an 18" dia. ball. I covered it with drywall tape and mix. I deflated and removed the ball today and am very happy with the result! When I was originally covering it with mix I assumed I was going to close the escape hole at the top and didn't pay particular attention to the shape of the hole. The hole is oval - at best - and has the tail ends of the drywall tape hanging out a half inch or so here and there. I have provided a photo below. I have since decided to paint the inside of the sphere and add tiny battery-powered lights to the inside of the rim to illuminate the cavity.

My question is...

Is there a tool that I can use to cut the hole into a perfect circle that won't chip the rest? It has to cut the thin layer of cured concrete as well as the tape beneath. I was thinking of a fine drywall saw, followed by an additional layer of fresh mix on the edge to finish it. The finished hole size will be about 8" allowing the lights and battery pack to hide up underneath the rim - I figure I'll attach them with Liquid Nails once I find them. Any ideas?

Thanks for any and all help you geniuses can provide. I plan on entering this sphere in a local themed art competition and will post photos when it is finished and ready to enter. I couldn't have done any of it without all the inspiration I get from you all!

{{gwi:71603}}

Thanks!

Amanda

Comments (23)