SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buckyforce

Making a mold from gritty concrete original - Help!

buckyforce
18 years ago

Hi there all...

I can hardly sleep for all the projects swirling around in my head - most inspired by you all!

I just recieved a commission of sorts. I am going to make a Polytek latex mold from an original planter foot. (A planter foot is a wedge, sort of, with a figural end...in this case a lion's paw, that sits under a pot to keep it off the patio, ground, deck. The figural portion of it is exposed at the bottom rim with about a 3" long x 1/2" high platform that extends under the pot to elevate it...make any sense?) I have been successful in making molds of my cast leaves and step stones, but both originals were of my own making, were smooth and easy to seal.

My question is...the original I am casting is a grainy old concrete piece and I want to seal it before applying the latex. I applied boat builder's mold release wax (3-5 coats) followed by a few coats of butcher's wax, all buffed between coats on my smooth items but don't think that method will work on this piece. Any clue what I can seal this old, grainy original with? A coat of paraffin could work but there are some subtle details I don't want to lose.

Any help is appreciated and I will post pictures of the process if anyone is interested.

Thanks!!

Amanda

Comments (4)