SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahgrower

Success of Fruit trees Transferred to Containers?

ahgrower Horne
9 years ago

Hi Everyone,
Need advice from Fruitnut (because he has a lot of trees growing in containers) and anyone else who is growing fruit trees successfully in containers...Here goes: This past year (like a whole lot of us) I lost a lot of fruit on my plum and peach trees although none of these died. Yet, all my fig bushes died at the tops and new growth is now rapidly appearing from the bottom because of harsh and unsually cold weather. Anyway, I want to avoid all of the wrapping up with thick plastic, hot water in gallon jugs, X-mas lights, and tarps to protect the trees to no avail this coming winter season (2015) . I fully intend to dig up my fruit trees from out of the ground and put them in 20-40 gallon containers so that I can transport them into my garage as needed when the weather gets bad. I have 6 different plum trees including the August Sensational Plum (Super Sweet from Berry Farms) which had about 20 plums that got to be dime size which harsh weather decimated. I have1 burbank, 2 fruit cocktail trees that were loaded with fruit, 1 Santa Rosa, 1 4-n-1 pluot tree which were covered in small plums, 1 Flavor Supreme that got pollinated real well and it was covered with plums and I will later send pics of the one and only plum on that tree (FS) that did survive the freeze, high winds, extreme cold and inconsistent weather soon. What I am really asking, Fruitnut and company, is do I have to change the soil and use potting soil only? Can I still just transfer the soil that I planted the trees in since I used all new soil this past November of 2013 because I relocated all of my trees at that time to the east side of my south facing yard? I used garden soil, compost, alittle sand and a little native clay soil.Will this work in a container?. All 25 of my trees look good--the rest of my trees are all assorted peach and apricot and nanking cherry. All my trees are between 4-6 years old, (except NC, I have 5 of them that my niece gave me out of her yard that are 9 years old) and all of my fruit trees are either dwarf or semi dwarf, pruned and sprayed well, all are, and will stay at 5 and a half-6 feet tall with no disease or bug problems currently--but I have sprays on hand for future outbreaks!. Please help and thanks to any and everyone who can give me advice! Sorry for writing such a long message...

Comments (14)