SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
staceyneil

I need advice on storing my harvest!! Very confused...

Stacey Collins
14 years ago

Hello,

I have been kitchen gardening for 15 years on a very small plot, just enough to eat right away. THIS YEAR we moved and I have a glorious 1000 sf garden. Despite the horrendous wet weather, I expect to have a bunch of produce to store for at least 3-4 months (which was the idea).

I've been researching root cellars and I am confused. The veggies I have all seem to need very different conditions. I am extrelemely (!!!) tight on time and money this fall so I can't do anything elaborate (maybe next year...) but just looking for a way to store these things easily. I read Mother Earth News's article about the basement root cellar but dont have the resources for all that venting this year.

Potatoes- need COLD & MOIST 38-40 F; 80-90% humidity. What do you think of this: I might be able to put some insulation around a boxed-off corner of the basement and achieve this. (Basement is unheated but the furnace is there... it's probably 50-60F normally in winter.)

Carrots, Parsnips, Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts- seems like these could be stored with the potatoes as above?

Squash, Pumpkins- need WARM & DRY 50-55 F; 60-75% humidity. Where do folks store these????? The normal basement temp might be OK but my guess is it's too damp down there. (We have a dehumidifier that runs pretty much constantly.) The garage is unfinished and freezes inside during winter.....

Onions- need COOL & DRY 32-35 F; 60-70% humidity. Where????? Clearly the basement is too warm and damp! Oh dear. I have a lot of gorgeous onions being harvested and cured right now, where to store them?

It seems like there are three very different storage conditions that need to be created. What do you folks in cold climates do???

Any real-life advice is much appreciated!

Stacey

Cumberland, Maine

Comments (2)