SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debstuart1

using grout material for pots and leaves

debstuart1
15 years ago

I know that there is some angst about "what is hypertufa" but I think this is the right forum to ask this question. In the Avant Gardener newsletter there is a little blurb about covering syrafoam containers with material used for grouting tiles. The brand suggested is Laticrete 1500 sanded grout. If you can find large styrafoam containers you can completely cover them and have a light trough.

Well, anyhow, I got a bag of it and have been fooling aroung with it. I covered a couple of small styrafoam things...a tray and an small container that had held mushrooms! I want to make sure this works before I cover the large box I have as they aren't easy to find!

It is a lot finer than tuffa, but rather nice in its own way.

While I had a batch mixed I also cast a large hosta leaf in Laticrete. It looks spiffy but not all that sturdy. Has anybody used this material and so has an opinion on its strength and durability? I made it rather thin.

I have made lots of hypertufa pots over the past year with good success. I had never done leaves. I just cast a v. large rubarb leat w. tuffa and it's going through a week in a plastic bag so that it is good and cured so I don't know how it'll look but figured it was worth a try.

All comments on the grout thing welcome!

Deborah

Comments (9)