SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaktuskris

'Why Didn't I Buy That Plant?!'

kaktuskris
14 years ago

Am I the only one who sees a plant in the store, can't decide to get it though I really want it, goes home without it, then decides to get it only to find it is sold when I go back to the store?

In other words, who else has non-buyer's regret?

I do it all the time. Several weeks ago, I saw a few orchids at my only Lowe's marked down to $2 each. Having never grown orchids before, I passed them by. Later I thought what a fool I was, what a perfect opportunity to try orchids out without breaking the bank.

So, tell me, what plant did you regret not buying?

Christopher

Comments (20)

• angeleyedcat
    14 years ago

A few weeks ago I saw a NOID african violet with pink and green flowers. Convinced myself not to get it, well for a few days anyway. When I went back it was sold. Sad, but the consolation is I'm sure it didn't die at the store :) I've done this many times. For me it seems to be a way to at least limit how many plants follow me home...

• mr_subjunctive
    14 years ago

Most of the time, I can change my mind and go back and the plant will still be there, whatever it is. The last time I can remember this happening was with a variegated Agave NOID that I didn't really want until I'd thought about it for more than a month, and of course it was gone by the time I went back to get it.

• Related Discussions

Now why didn't I think of that?

Q

Comments (4)
    I'm glad you posted in this forum. Don't delete it because I'm sure many others besides myself will enjoy following your progress. You can post in the Heirloom forum, too.
    ...See More

I didn't think this was why I WSed grasses!

Q

Comments (7)
    Your black cat looks JUST like my B.C. (Bad Cat). And your Mr. Muscle Cat looks an awful lot like my sister's 22 pound behemoth cat Indy. I really love my cats! We're working on Noah's ark: father, mother, two kids, two cats, two parakeets, two goldfish. . . . Oh, yeah, and Speedie the snail, in with the fish. Gotta love having pets (especially now that the kids are old enough to start helping to do the dirty work taking care of them). Now the kids want a dog - perhaps next year, when we're feeling brave and/or slightly insane. Laurel
    ...See More

why oh why didn't I WS tomatoes??

Q

Comments (13)
    OK, you've all inspired me. Now I have to go get some seed! :) I did buy 6 plants this morning of mixed varieties but there's room for several more. I'm of the opinion that you can never have too many 'maters! Every year I cover the paths in my food garden with a layer of cardboard and mulch to keep the weeds out. I spent the morning taking the top 3 inches of last year's almost broken-down mulch and the gorgeous soil below it, and filling a couple of my beds to the brim --- including the tomato bed. Maybe some volunteers will be able to sprout through all that. Thanks for the inspiration! I really enjoy having varieties other than the same ol', same ol', and seed allows me to do that where store-bought plants don't. Deb
    ...See More

Why I didn't think of this sooner I don't know...

Q

Comments (5)
    I cut hansa rose back this year.. it was blooming at the top of seven feet canes, fine for me, but no so great for my wife. She loves the smell of this rose, plus behind it I planted John Davis, the were both the same hieght and it looked odd. Normally do not cut rogusas back, but honestly, it looks soooooooooooooo much better now. the foilage has filled in and you cant tell I hacked it in half, its around 4.5 feet now and the increased light has prompted John Davis to grow up even further. Silverkelt
    ...See More
  • bunnygurl
    14 years ago

Must say I can't ever recall this happening to me...when I want a plant, I buy it. Which is probably what has gotten me into so much trouble...

• houseplantlover
    14 years ago

Usually I buy it cause the reason I have gone there to look is to buy. If I am not buying I dont go...I find it to painful.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Most of the time, when I can't decide whether to buy it or not...then decide not to buy it, has almost always worked out for the best. I have some space issues...so I am very picky with what I buy. Lately, there hasn't been anything I've wanted to buy locally. The plants I want unfortunately they don't sell at any of my nurseries or big box stores. It
    always ends up being a mail order thing...which I hate because of shipping,lol...

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Yes!!!

I saw the most beautiful Gardenia last spring, and hid that thing behind all the tall palms in the nursery, so no one would see it, because I was short on cash, and didn't think I could care for it and keep it going as good as it looked. When I went back the next day after a confidence boost and a bit of cash, IT WAS GONE THE VERY NEXT!

I was so bummed..So I bought another, not as beautiful, and it is doing awsome to this day..Oh if only I had bought that one..To this day,I still think of it, since I have never seen one sold like that before..I keep going back to that nursery to see if any have come in since..
    I stared at that plant for along time that day, walked away, then staring at it again....The flowers were different and bigger than any other gardenia I ever saw,,HUGE and fragrant!

Ooh!!Lol

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Oh ha, here is another..-

Sometimes I am looking for a plant to fill a space in my house with, just a common one that requires very little work..So I see some beauties at HD...I think, well, forget it, I already have to many...Then the next day, I say, shoot I should of got one, I hate that empty spot in the corner..Then I say. oh, I should get one...

Well, by the time I do decide I want that one I saw a few days ago, I run to HD, just to see it look like garbage, all withered up and to sick to buy...Oh, if only I had bought it when it looked healthy and fresh the first time I saw it..lol

How about a two hour trip to a nursery that sells special plants! I come home, look at their new catalog, and say.."What the heck is wrong with me, why didn't I buy that plant while I was there, and why didn't I see it?...Arg!!!

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mike, I feel your pain!

Christopher

• bamboo_turtles
    14 years ago

Happens to me alot ... I saw a " hard to find type " of Japanese Maple at the local nursery , well , it rained all week and cold ... i went back seven days later , only to find it had been sold the day before .. WHO BUYS PLANTS IN THE RAIN AT 40 f TEMPS ?????????? Maybe I should get that crazy !

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

For me, it goes like this....

"Oooh, Josh! We were at this bonsai show and they had these four-foot redwood burl bonsai for only like 15 bucks!
    Dude, you sooo should have been there! Next year, we have to go!"

Well yeah....

Josh

• hadrian
    14 years ago

Crassula ovata Jade Hummel's Sunset! i saw that plant at Home Depot a few months ago. i didn't buy it because i'm generally not into jades...well i WASN'T into jades. i'd always heard about Hunmmel's Sunset, i just never paid attention. when i saw it at Home Depot, i still didn't really pay much attention to it, i just noticed the tag. i didn't pay any attention to it because the ones they had looked exactly like regular jades. then i went to this guy's house that i met on craigslist to buy an aloe and he had this plant, but it was SPECTACULAR. it was totally golden yellow with almost no green to it. i never knew they could look that good. that guy gave me a few cuttings from another plant that he said was also Hummel's Sunset, but this plant was also all green. i was a bit skeptical at first, but since they were free cuttings, i took them happily. well, i rooted them and put them in FULL sun and they eventually all turned golden yellow like the guy said. now i wish i had more. i should have bought those from HD. i think they were only $5.47 for one gallons! i've been checking, but i haven't seen them there since. oh well...

here's a pic of one of the cuttings i got from that guy:

{{gwi:80103}}

Bri.

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Oh Lord, this happens all the time..in the store and Ebay/online. lol.
    I want to kick myself, moreso, when plants are on sale. Just last wk, our grocery story had 4" potted plants for 1.50. Most were plants I have, but there were also some really nice Crotons..Passed them up, and now regret it. lol

6/7+ yrs ago, while grocery shopping, I stopped to look at plants. A novel idea. lol. There sat, one-solo, green-leaf with orange center plant, price 6.99. I had no idea what it was. It went in the cart, then put back. Home I went w/my groceries..While putting everything in place, that plant was on my mind. I thought of reasons not to buy it, but there was ONE reason I dwelled on this beauty. It was different. A plant I didn't have.
    2 days later I went back to the store..sole purpose, to buy this NOID plant..it was gone! I was devestated. I went home, and even though I thought it was fate, that pretty plant was inbedded in my brain. A wk or so later, dh and I went shopping..I talked about this plant all the way to the store, and then some. lol. So, I drag dh to the plant section..sure enough, he found it behind a group of other plants..The same plant I had in my cart the wk before. I didn't hesitate. This time it went in the cart w/o hesitation..Ironically, while shopping, 'for actual food' two women walked up to me and admired the NOID plant..lol..After getting home, I did some research and ID'd it as Chlorophytum 'Fire Flash.' At the time, Fire Flashes were rare. The only Chlorophytums discussed were Spider Plants: Green, Variegated and Bonnie's. And Bonnie's were new. In IL anyway, and here on GW.

Christopher..2.00 for orchids..Do you know they're type? Were they in bloom? If so, at that price, one of each color flower would have followed me home..lol..OR, one of each type..That IS a bargain.

Angel..pink and green flowers? You and I are different..Because of the flower color, it too would have followed me home..lol Never seen an AV w/green and pink blooms..

Mr Sub..Variegated Agave..1 month..way too long. Don't hesitiate..Var Agava's are usually pricey. Next time, grab it..lol

Bunny...LOL..

Houseplantlover..do you feel the same when you go to a grocery store? To buy food, not plants..then discover they have new plants in stock?

Pug, you need to get dh to build you a new room..Start bugging him, today.

Mike, too bad you didn't ask a manager if you could put a down payment, and keep the Gardenia on hold..

Bamboo, you'd be surprised the number of ppl who would go out in the cold, rain, snow, and ice to buy a plant..lol

Josh, you should kick them in the 'BeeHind' lol Toni

14 years ago

Ha, Toni! ;)
    I *will* be going to the bonsai show this year...
    I wouldn't dare miss these legendary deals on bonsai!

Bri,
    that's one yellow cutting! Superb yellow, superb red!

I have a Jade that was tagged "Hummel's Golden Sunset" that is quite yellow at its prime!

Josh

• amccour
    14 years ago

Alluaudia procera. Admittedly, It was overpriced at the garden show I saw it at, but I like, obsessed over getting one until I actually got one. That was a weird two weeks, and also the only time I've ordered plants online.

Hopefully it's still alive. They're sort of deciduous succulents making it kind of hard to tell, this time of year.

• puglvr1
    14 years ago

Toni, I will start working on DH to build that extra room, now all I need is to win the lotto,lol...

Bri, what a beautiful yellow Hummel sunset cutting. I can see why you would regret not buying that one gallon at HD. I've NEVER seen any one gallon Jades of any kind here in any of our big box stores ever...I would have grabbed that hummel sunset in a nano second for $5 something. I barely see the regular green one in a 2" pot...FL does not have the demand for them I guess?

• hadrian
    14 years ago

hey puglvr,

yeah, that was a bad decision on my part. but if you want jades, email me:

hadrian217@hotmail.com

Bri.

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Bri, Goergous!!!!! That is quite a hummell!!

Pug, I'll pitch in with you to help Toni get her drean greenhouse!

Josh, you will help me color up my Jade? Sweet!

Toni, way to funny..I think a lot of us have been in your shoes on that one..lol

Again, Bri.Wow..you certainly lit this thread up with that pic like a flashlight!

Bamboo....lol..

Chris, great thread. I feel your pain too....;-)

Mike..

• kaktuskris
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toni: The orchids I didn't buy, 2 of them anyway, had psuedobulbs and must have been a large-flowering variety, but were past blooming.
    Still, for 2 bucks, what a deal!

Went to Lowe's again last week, admired the $3.98 Euphorbias and the Pleiospilos for less than $3. Only walked home with a Black Gold Sanseviera a bit the worse for wear, for all of 25 cents!

Christopher

14 years ago

Yesterday, I got a text from my brother saying:
    "There's a free bonsai workshop at Exotic Plants this weekend."
    Now how am I supposed to pass that up?

No doubt something will come up...and, on Monday, my brother will
    be telling me about the awesome deals at the workshop....

Josh

• amccour
    14 years ago

I sort of regret not buying that Obregonia at the cactus and succulent society both at the Chicago home and garden show. Especially since it was only like, 7.50 and they usually cost more.

On the other hand, I bought like, five plants there (including a reaaally nice looking Alluaudia montagnacii) and I was feeling some guilt about not leaving anything cool for the other customers anyway.

It sounds like it grows fairly quickly though so maybe I should just order some seeds. I was gonna try astrophytum caput-medusae seeds too, because you can't really buy... that in actual grown form, as far as I can tell (and apparently if you do, it's going to be a graft, and they apparently grow better on their own roots because they're tuberous and need the tuber to store water so they don't start shedding tubercles).