SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ganggreen

Apple thinning question.

13 years ago

OK, so I know that the rule of thumb is to thin back to allow a tree to only bear one or three apples during its first bearing season but does that hold for a tree that's been in the ground for a few years and is reasonably well established?

Let me explain. I have 40-50 dwarf apple trees, all on B9, G11 or G16 rootstock. They've been planted over the last several years so the oldest would be in the ground for their third growing season. Many/most of them bloomed last year and a few even bloomed the year before that but we've had a complete crop failure the last two years due to late spring frosts. Knock on wood, but this year it looks like we're going to survive the spring weather and I'm curious if I dare allow those older and better developed trees to hold a few more fruits than what you'd typically allow. I have no intention of letting them carry their full crop but I wouldn't mind allowing 6 or 8 apples per tree to insure that the family at least gets to sample all the varieties.

The pears, cherry and plums are another situation and they'll be few and far between this year anyway. I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments (3)