SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
althetrainer

Winter squash male & female flowers bloom at different times

althetrainer
11 years ago

We live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I believe we are in between zones 3a and 3b. This is our first year growing winter squash (butternut and buttercup). Our buttercup plants are doing very well, with lots of flowers. But our butternut plants are growing in a much slower pace, and they have no flower at all.

My current concern is that I haven't seen any bees around and some of the fruits died soon after the bloom. When I decided to try manual pollination, I noticed another problem - the male and female flowers seem to bloom at different times. Three days ago I had three females flowers but I couldn't find one healthy looking male flower. So I tore open one that had shrunk and used the pollens but it was just not enough for all five female flowers.

It has been two days and some of the female flowers are shrinking and now I see 4 male flowers that should bloom tomorrow and the day after. But I don't see any female flower coming up! Seems like the males and females are taking turns to bloom. Is this normal?

I keep telling myself to give it time and maybe nature will correct the issue itself. On the other hand, I am aware being in our zone we really don't have a lot of summer left. Is there a way I can preserve some of the pollens and use it when I have female flowers?

So far we gave three fruits, just a bit bigger than my thumb. I am afraid if I don't come up with a better plan this is all I will get or, worse yet, nothing at all.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)