SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ruegge

Hypertufa cracks

ruegge
15 years ago

I have been casting big 5 gallon hypertufa flower troughs and discovering some troughs have visable cracks which didn't appear until months after casting. I use about 32% Portland cement, 25% peat, 20% pumice, 20% vermiculite, and 5% masons sand by volume. I use good clean quality ingredients, I strive to avoid overly wet mixes, I release from molds and brush carefully after 24 hours, I always cure pieces 28 days in plastic bags to assure hydration. I used about 1 ounce of Polypropyline fibers on all pieces. The cracks I have found occurred during the winter, months and months after casting. We have mild winters here although it does get below freezing. I have tried to induce cracks on small test pieces but so far I can't seem to create any freeze thaw cracks in my refrigerator freezer. I have switched to a new Poly Vinyl Alcohol (PVA) fiber from Kararay corp in Japan. These fibers are advertised to give superior crack resistence relative to nylon or polyprop fiber. I am now mixing 2 oz of PVA fiber into each trough.

I am a little frustrated that my stuff looks good for a long time and then suddenly displays cracks. Not sure if this is caused by making larger 80 pound pieces (my smaller pieces don't seem to have the problem), or poor technique, or just a limitation of hypertufa not being very dependable. It is possible the new fiber will correct the problem but it bugs me that I won't really know for sure, until next spring.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem casting larger hypertufa and figured out a solution? Is htufa just inherantly unreliable in this respect? I have read repeatedly that hypertufa is not effected by freezing temps. Not sure what is causing my problem and any adjustments appear to require 1 year to evaluate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville