SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marneva

Watermelon leaves have yellow spots

marneva
12 years ago

I am growing watermelon for the first time. I planted a non-hybrid, non GMO seed (forgot the name...thew away the pkg. oops). I planted 3 plants in an oblong raised garden bed underneath okra. I am noticing that the leaves are starting to get bright yellow spot all over them and the leaves on bottom are dying. I have 3 good sized dark green (no stripes) watermelon growing. Should I be concerned? When should I pick the fruit? I have been battling squash bugs and grasshoppers all summer to no avail. I have tried everything organic under the sun to get rid of them. Do you think the yellow spots are disease related or pest related. Cures? It has been over 100 degrees for several days and I have been watering with a sprinkler system for 10 min. every other day and by hand sometimes in between. Too much water? I also have been doing the lasagna composting method so everything has been mulched with hay, grass and veg. scraps. If this is a disease, is it safe to till the leaves into the soil for the winter?

Comments (4)