SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armyofda12mnkeys

cold hardy poms report

armyofda12mnkeys
9 years ago

Hey all...
Tough winter... That pretty much summarizes that state of my poms mostly.

My in-ground russian/iranian poms survived with no dieback the 2012 and 2013 winters. But this 2014 winter, looks like most died to the ground. Just wondering if there is a thread already with everyones reports on what poms they trialing that survived? If so, I can put my report in there.

Anyway, right now pretty much everything def is pushing up growth back from the roots/ground. A couple poms leafed out the past 2 weeks (much later than previous years where I saw my poms budding/leafing out on 3/20 and this year its closer to 5/1). Bala Mursai and a Salevatski I got from my friend Bassam (treesofjoy.com) leafed out (so only 25% dieback maybe max, have to see still). They were mostly in less protected (less sunny) spots too and still survived. Everything else might be dead to ground (Kazake, Kajacikanor, SurAnor, Afganski, Agat, Alk Pust Germez Saveh, Lyubimyi (aka Favorite), Al-sirin-nar, Apseronski krasnyj, Kunduzski, Mejhos 6269, Sakerzde, and a much larger Salevatski from Edible Landscaping in a good sunny spot which makes me question whether its really Salevatksi). I had a few of extras of the same varieties in pots and new varieties i didn't plant yet that I kept in unprotected outdoor shed... so those 1year old plants survived the few days of -3F to 0F temps we got in Philly Suburbs with no dieback (and many more days this year of temps in teens). But that windchill must have got the outdoor ones (think it went down to -15F windchill on a few of those days).
Note: when it snowed like feet(s) of snow a few times this year, I dug around each tree the next day so the heavy snow buildup didn't 'touch' the plants over the winter. Not sure if the snow surrounding the plants would be more harmful than protectful so I didnt allow snow to build up (like does the snow protect the lower plant branches from windchill so at least those branches will survive a tough winter? or actually cause more harm by having the cold snow touching the branches for long periods of time?).

Most were plants that were at least 2 years old. A few were 3 years old that were like 6ft tall.

Anyway, Hope we have a more mild winter this year, cause those will be 1 year old limbs that will be unprotected next winter (i usually only plant 1 year old plants that I've kept to the shed so not sure how the new wood will last a winter here).

Will report back if I see others look like they leafing out.

Comments (12)