SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Concrete tank for fish -- anybody done this?

girlndocs
17 years ago

I've never done any concrete projects (besides setting in clothesline posts). But the container I'd planned on using for my tiny water garden turns out to be leaky. I can't get another container like it, but maybe I could make a cool one myself?

I just want a square/rectangular box shape, about 24" across and 18" deep, with sides not much more than an inch thick. If I do it all in one piece, I won't have to worry about leaking at the seams. I was thinking I could do it using two cardboard boxes as a mold and filling in between them with the concrete. I saw pictures of that somewhere ... can't remember where. (Yeah, I know it'll be heavy. But so was the original container!)

So how feasible is this for a beginner?

Would I need to reinforce it with chicken wire or something?

What would be the best mix for the project? (I know hypertufa probably won't be suitable, a shame since that would be much lighter.)

And the big question: How would I make it fish, or rather tadpole, safe? I know about the leaching thing, and I know it has to soak in water for a while, how long is that?

Walk me through this step by step and use little words, please, because remember, I'm a complete newbie to concrete.

Thanks,

Kristin

Comments (9)