SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purplefox_gw

Sickly Philodendron?

purplefox
11 years ago

Hi all,

I have what I believe to be a type of Philodendron that is not looking so hot as of late. I've had this plant for a long time and it has always been very easy to care for. I water it when the soil is dry and put it outdoors the shade during the summer. In the winter, I bring it inside and keep it by a window, or a few feet away from one.

Last winter it was looking a little on the small side, which it usually does in the winter. I expected it to perk up after a summer outdoors. It didn't really, and now after this winter it looks awful. I tried repotting it with a standard house plant mix. (I don't know much about repotting, pretty much just transferred it into new soil) -- nothing has changed in a could of weeks, except the leaves are looking yellow and a white mold is going on top of the soil.

I was told to look for little white bugs in the soil, and I didn't think I saw any but I finally found one. I just looked again and noticed three more, but I have to look pretty hard for them as they are VERY tiny.

I assume the mites are the issue, but what are they? How do I get rid of them? I was told to water the plant with soapy water, but I am hesitant of that until I know for sure. I don't think it needs any water for at least another week, but I am afraid something needs to be done very soon. I am attaching a photo to this post.

Thank you very much in advance!!!

Comments (9)