SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asturnut

good pollinators for my apple choices

asturnut
14 years ago

Greetings all:

I'm ready to try my hand at growing some fruit trees. I'm considering cherry and apple. For now, I'd like to discuss my apple options.

First, I'm looking for dwarf or semi dwarf because my site is near power lines. I'm considering EMLA 111 rootstock. My soil is very heavy clay loam. Exposure is Northwest. With light shade in the am due to large oak trees on the east of my property. I've removed as many as I can, further removal of remaining trees is NOT an option.

Second, my objectives are mostly ornamental, although I would like to enjoy the fruit. I am willing to share with animals. I avoid using pesticides and am willing to bag or use organic alternatives. I'm okay with low-yield, as long as I get *some* fruit to enjoy. I'm not fussy.

For starters I'd like to start with only 3 trees. I like firm, tart apples that are good for baking, eating and maybe eventually making cider if my yeild is sufficient in the distant future. (I'm thinking retirement in another 30 years.)

I REALLY like the idea of Grimes Golden because it's a historic, it's tart, can tolerate neglect, self fertile, is a good pollinator and is a good multi-use apple.

I'm also interested in the Pink Pearl because it's wierd, and is compatible with Grimes Golden.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a third option? I was thinking about Arkansas Black, but I'm not sure about compatibility with Grimes. I understand that Arkansas Black is a triploid and not a good pollinator, so I'm concerned about that.

What about Ruby Jon, Golden Supreme, Taylor Spur Rome Beauty or Red Fuji BC#2? I'm also thinking about Honeycrisp, but I understand that requires a lot of pruning maintenance and I'm not sure if I can commit to that.

Any suggestions, insights, etc for a newbie would be appreciated.

Comments (6)