SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julianneinga

Using Hypertufa to build walls around straw bale garden beds

JulianneInGA
13 years ago

Hello! I have just (with the wonderful assistance of several volunteer friends!) laid out 240 bales of straw in 10 formations to make a large garden. (some of the garden will be planted differently, but most will grow in the straw). My vision is to build walls around the straw over time, and I've LONG had a fascination with hypertufa - I like the look and feel of it!

So, I come with questions:

1 - has anyone done this before and if so, would you share tips/ideas/lessons "learned the hard way"?

2 - do I need to worry about chemicals (lime?) leaching into the beds/plants either through the roots or via direct contact for plants that trail over the sides (this is largely a vegetable garden)

3 - I'm all for creativity and "hand building" (interesting curves, shapes, imbedding objects) vs. using forms - is this possible with hypertufa if I were to wrap the outside of the forms in chicken wire and do it in stages (clearly this would be essential, as there are more than 600 linear feet of straw needing "walls" ranging in height from 15' to 30'

4 - what thickness of walls should I be aiming for with runs ranging from 4' - 28' and distance between walls ranging from 18" - 36"?

5 - I'm sure as soon as I click "post" I'll think of a dozen more questions - and even more sure that there are many questions I won't think of but that others may have -- please share! Questions always help me get from point A to point T (I'd say "B", but seldom find life takes such a direct route! ;-)

Thanks in advance for whatever ideas, suggestions, questions, photos this might stir up!

Comments (2)