SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mo_girl

Anyone tried straw bale gardening?

mo_girl
16 years ago

I know this is a little OT, but I am considering this method for some of my WS tomato plants. I'm wanting to sow lots of heirlooms, but don't necessarily have the space to plant them all. Last year, almost all of my WS toms sprouted, so I'm guessing I'll have a lot of seedlings. This method sounds promising since I don't have a tiller, and using a pickaxe to break up ground like I did last year is pretty tiring. I have a raised bed and a small plot I broke up last year, but can only plant so many things in that limited space.

Basically, the method entails planting seedlings directly into wheat straw bales. Some sites recommend directly planting into bale, while other recommend three inches of compost on top of the bale first. (The bales need to either be older or pre-watered for a couple weeks so they don't burn up the seedlings.) The bales can sometimes be used a second year, and can later be added to compost. I don't know if I'll be able to find a good source of bales or good pricing, but it's such a neat idea.

Has anyone tried this that can give some feedback on its success?

Here's a link to site discussing it. There are more links at the bottom of the page at this site showing other straw bale gardens:

Here is a link that might be useful: Straw Bale Garden

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County