SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenette_gw

winter squash are wasting my time

kitchenette
15 years ago

i have two buttercup squash growing in a 5 gal tub on my balcony. most books told me to give them eight feet of space, which i took to mean the vines would be eight feet long; my mistake. each vine is presently at least ten feet long, i expect they will easily pass fifteen by the end of august, and i'm running out of decent supports.

the problem is, they're only just starting to set viable fruit now: while the rest of the plants thrived, the first female blossoms (mid-june) stayed tiny, turned yellow and fell off. the next few got bigger, but stayed green and never opened, then fell off. the next two set fruit but it didn't grow much (i pulled it off--bad idea?). the earlier blossoms were also really far apart; now it looks like they're coming closer together and actually doing what they should do, but like i said, i'm running out of space--one squash is hanging off the window screen.

my question is, is this progression from inviable to viable, and the early tomato-like blossom drop, actually normal? are the first ten or twelve flowers a big fat test run? OR could it be the product of cramming two plants into one bucket? or is it some other non-pest/non-pollen-related problem? i'm trying to work out what i'll need to change for next year (bush-type plants are nowhere on the agenda).

Comments (13)